33 replies to this topic

#1 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

I noticed today a new sign in front of the old Ewell"s at 2000 W. Berry "Americaoo"  and I assume it's the name of whatever is going in upstairs.  I even tried Googling it with no success.  Anyone have any information on this?

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Google may have let you down because you have the name wrong:

http://www.americadofw.com/

https://www.facebook.com/americadofw/

Bud Kennedy teased it on social media a few days ago.  Here's a write up from Culture Map:

http://fortworth.cul...real-americado/

#3 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Damn, I would have sworn it had two "O's" at the end and It wasn't even happy hour for me when I read it. 

Thanks for the answer!

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

I could see how you might think there were two "O"s at the end. 

#5 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

This Americado sounds interesting.

#6 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hope they do well since it will be a terrible location afterthought for folks that would actually dig that type of creative food. 

#7 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

I ate at this place last week. Not bad. We went on a Friday afternoon and since it is lent my choices were limited. I had shrimp quesadillas. I liked that the cheese was not the regular cheddar type.

It's set up with three food stations. You order and pay at one of the stations. They give you a number and you have a seat. Your food is brought to you, but here's the kicker. The menu is at the register, so you are standing there waiting for the people at the register to read through the menu. If you decide you don't want what's on that menu, you have to start over again. They said people were talking the menus and that is why they don't have them out. My friends went again today. One big change, there is now a sign at the closed Blockbuster saying if you park there you will be towed. I forgot to ask about the menu situation. The upstairs is not being used. The restaurant is actually renting the building, It's a neat place, but it seems out of place.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

I have not been, yet.  I live incredibly close, and several of my friends and neighbors have been there.  Some liked it, others did not.  I will eventually try it because I'm curious.

#9 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

Overpriced. Poor beer selection. Chaotic ordering setup. Won't be going back.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Finally tried Americado at lunch today. It appears that they've abandoned the quick service ordering concept. We were seated with menus and a waitress took our order. The ceviche had good flavor, but it was more watered down than what I'm used to. I had the mix/match street tacos and they were really good. The place was pretty dead, but that may have been a consequence of the bad weather.

#11 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Wife and I went for a Saturday lunch about 3 weeks ago.  It was good, the service was sit down and it was efficient.  The food was a tad hotter than I liked and most people would like, but to each its own.  The issue for me is access from east bound Berry with the railroad tracks.  Another is the parking will be severely lacking once TCU football games start in less than a month.

I hope they make it, but I have my doubts.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

I forgot about the east bound access, probably because I didn't do the driving. To get there going east on Berry, you have to go north on Townsend or Cleburne and use Bowie to get to Gordon. And then there are just a handful of head in parking spaces.

#13 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Americado is closing this weekend, Bud Kennedy reports. https://twitter.com/...349713590747136

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I never made it over there.  I wanted to check it out since it was new, but I never felt a strong pull to do so when I was actually going out to eat.  Perhaps that, on a larger basis, was their problem.

Now that it's all fitted out I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else take it over and have some success.  It kind of needs to be something that's obvious what it is though- a Mexican place, a BBQ joint, something like that.

My blog: Doohickie

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

When I sae the new posting in this thread, I knew that you all were going to say that it was closing before I read it.  Even though I live pretty close, I actually never went there due to all of my friends in the area going there and then commenting that they didn't like it.  I never felt the need to check out a place that most people didn't like. 

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Bud Kennedy reported earlier that they have new backing and will stay open.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

More correctly:  Will reopen.  They're closed, will be open again Thursday.

#18 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

The new backing will have the same issues as before--access to the place is the pits and will be its demise

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

I hate to be pessimistic, but I tend to agree with you.  In the few months that it was open, I did not eat there.  I live close enough that I could ride my bicycle, or even walk, but I still was not that interested.  I think what made me hesitant were the reviews and from what friends who had eaten there told me.

#20 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

I had been there twice for lunch, before they supposedly revamped the ordering process. The food was very good, service was spotty. I haven't had a big urge to return. I agree on the parking and access and am doubtful that it will last.

Erik France

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

There have been a LOT of restaurants that start out with terrible service and then get past that.  But you can't fix location.

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:17 PM

This is fairly old, but here's a rendering of a "Phase 2" of this development. I'm not sure if it's still planned though, but gives an idea anyway. Would be residences over retail.

SXcnPsk.jpg

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:26 PM

I don't know about any future development.  It would make sense though when the train station becomes reality.

We just ate at Americado again yesterday.  It's working its way into our regular rotation.  The food is good, not too expensive, and you can get familiar favorites like street tacos or elote (called Street Style Corn on the menu), or go more adventurous with something like an El Cri Cri taco with grilled ribeye and cheddar mashed potatoes (currently my favorite).  It's an interesting mix of traditional taco fare and weird taco variations.

#24 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

I don't know about any future development.  It would make sense though when the train station becomes reality.

We just ate at Americado again yesterday.  It's working its way into our regular rotation.  The food is good, not too expensive, and you can get familiar favorites like street tacos or elote (called Street Style Corn on the menu), or go more adventurous with something like an El Cri Cri taco with grilled ribeye and cheddar mashed potatoes (currently my favorite).  It's an interesting mix of traditional taco fare and weird taco variations.

The wife and I went when they first opened and found the ordering process to be a bit cumbersome. With each of us going to a different "venue" to order food, then sitting, then ordering drinks from a server.

Is that still the case or have things been streamlined? 

#25 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

The wife and I went when they first opened and found the ordering process to be a bit cumbersome. With each of us going to a different "venue" to order food, then sitting, then ordering drinks from a server.

That original concept was trashed and the new concept is order/deliver by servers at the table like normal restaurants 

#26 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

That original concept was trashed and the new concept is order/deliver by servers at the table like normal restaurants 

we'll certainly need to give it another shot then. thanks for the reply.

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, it's a more conventional server setup now.  I procrastinated visiting there because of the original concept.  It's not confusing like that anymore.

#28 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

According to Bud Kennedy, Americado is going back to the original food hall concept.

#29 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

According to Bud Kennedy, Americado is going back to the original food hall concept.

I posted on that thread on FB.  It will still be a full table service restaurant, there will just be several different menu concepts to choose from.  I'm not thrilled because I like the current version, but I'm going to try it with an open mind.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hmm, maybe phase 2 is happening?

https://www.loopnet....th-TX/10795024/

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

The Star Telegram is reporting that Americado appears to be done for real this time.

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

I went there a couple weeks ago . . . I'm not surprised. 

Hell, I said "I give it 5 weeks" in my head as I left.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#33 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

A mess from the start.

#34 Austin55

Austin55