126 replies to this topic

#51 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Jan 8 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been to too many places in the metroplex that serve Mexican food. Most serve Tex-Mex. closedeyes.gif

When you say "Mexican food" in Texas, is it not implied? smile.gif

#52 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (Papaw @ Jan 8 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"The best thing about Mexican Inn is the chips."

Yes, I find myself stuffing myself on their hot, homemade soft tortillas smothered in butter and add a little salted.....um!

I love the chips and tortillas at Mexican Inn. I eat too many on every visit. My problem with Mexican Inn is the ridiculous size of the portions on the dinner menu. Every entree is north of $8 or 9 and there's enough food on each one to feed 3 people.

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 8 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Pupusa is El Salvadorena. TC's tries to do it or tried.

biggrin.gif That's like saying that McDonald's tries to make a good hamburger.

#53 pallen

pallen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

I believe you can get papusas at Glorias. We used to order them from a place near my old office in Dallas when I worked there - they were addictive.

#54 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 7 2008, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope their boxing star of a relative does not get word of this, but HERNANDEZ'S menudo is disappointing. Especially when you see how packed BOTH of their places are after hours on weekends. Los LAZOS on West Exchange OWNS them on the menudo tip. Hernandez's barbacoa is so so, too much fat left in the process and some pieces are served BURNT for some reason(?), also lacks some laurel (bay leaf) and I believe their tortillas are NOT homemade.

Good asada, pappas rancheras and chicharrones a la mexicana though.

The Hernandez further west(closer to where 25th turns into Azle) is better and more consistant.I believe its run by women,and the other is ran by a mixture of people.I'll have to check out Los Lazos' menudo on my next night out.How late do they stay open?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#55 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jan 5 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also: Joe T.'s food should never be eaten by humans. It is wretched. I seriously don't understand why we do that to our tourists and wonder why they don't come back.

Without getting insulting here, I had an anniversary party at Joe T's back in September. Out of 200 guests, roughly half were from out of town. I can't tell you how many people of those people loved Joe T's and have come back insisting on going there. The food's not fantastic, but it's definnitely edible. I like the rice, personally. People loved the atmosphere and the strong, if unimaginative, margaritas. The place isn't making a killing for nothing.

La Familia gets most of my mexican food dollar, just because I like Al. Best was mentioned earlier, Mi Cocinita (sp?).

#56 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

I like the Original on Camp Bowie, La Familia, La Playa Maya (west), El Rancho Grande. I'm a huge Mexican Inn devotee, mostly because of their quick service and proximity to both my office and home.

I like Joe T's, but I do agree that it is overrated. The food is good and I've had several very pleasant dining experiences there - including one warm sunny afternoon with one of their killer (read: everclear) margaritas - but it certainly isn't the best food ever. I think for the people who speak of it as Valhalla, it is more about the "scene" than anything. That is just my .02.

#57 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

The secret to Joe T.'s success is that it is incredibly safe and different from most Tex-Mex places in this area. I know as many people who dislike it as I do that like it.

#58 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

The most unusual thing about Joe T's is the fact that they don't take credit cards! Not enough cash or no check? ---No service. And there are times when you might wait 45 min. in the line before you see the little sign right at the place where you are next to be seated.
Is it just me, or is that South wall of the building leaning about 15 degrees or so?

#59 76107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Actually you can get them to open a charge account for you if you go enough. I'm no expert on Mexican food, but I have to correct the misconception that La Familia has store bought tortillias. They make their tortillias on premises, as they do everything else. Also, if you want a torta that could choke a goat, Tortilandia on Hemphill will do you up a milanesa torta that could make you slap yo' mama.

#60 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Has anybody ever had a torta ahogada? It consists of a piece of bolillo (sp?) bread filled with pork (and sometimes other foods) then dipped in a spicy sauce. Yes, the entire thing is dipped, which is messy, but definitely awesome. Does anybody know of a place around here that sells them? Most places that have tortas don't seem to have this particular version.

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (76107 @ Jan 23 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually you can get them to open a charge account for you if you go enough.

Carshon's is another local plastic-free establishment that will let you open a charge account. I got an odd look from my wife once upon a time when I got a bill in the mail for an egg salad sandwich with a side of sauerkraut.

#62 DustinAskins

DustinAskins

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

After reading through this thread last night my wife and I headed to Benitos to see what all the fuss was about. Well...I don't know what you guys are getting, but that place was bland, bland, bland. My margarita was watery, beans and rice were tasteless (beans are a key indicator for me), the chicken in our flautas, enchiladas, and tacos was very dry, and the pico was just a little too spicy. The corn tortilla soup, their flour tortillas, and pork tacos were great though. We'll probably go back another time and try something else, but round 1 was a loss.

A few of you mentioned El Asaderos, that's next on our list to try, havent been there before.

We've been to a number of Mexican places around town though, so here's my rundown:

1. Tres Joses
2. Mi Cocina
3. La Familia
4. El Fenix
5. El Rancho Grande
6. Fuzzy's Tacos
7. Joe T's
8. Uncle Julios
9. Benitos
10. Tres Betos
11. Cabo Grande

I should probably take time and write reviews on actual restaurant review Web sites, but if you're interested here's my quick take on each that I listed...

Tres Joses - Close to our heart, we used to live in Crestwood Place Apartments. Their chips and salsa, black beans, tortillas, and margaritas are wonderful. They know how to grill chicken without drying it out as well. Dont get spinach anything here, vegetarian dishes are not their specialty, but their chicken and beef is wonderful. If you're driving by one morning, they sale breakfast burritos in the parking lot, they rock.

Mi Cocina - Sure, they're trying too hard with the atmosphere and it's a bit touristy, but our food was out of this world. I think they have the best margaritas in town.

La Familia - Like the name says, family. They are warm and welcoming here and the food is decent. I don't like their tamales or their bean soup, but the entrees are good. Service is great, it's too dark inside though.

El Fenix - I cant believe Im listing a chain in my top five, but I like this place. Their food never leaves me disappointed. And their chips! So crunchy, so addicting.

El Rancho Grande - I've only gone here on a whim a few times, but they're similar to El Fenix. Good chips and good food to back it up, no disappointments, well...mediocre margaritas.

Fuzzy's Tacos - Woohoo! I love this place, it's really not a restaurant so I didn't rank it in my top five, but now that I live in this area I'm at Fuzzy's or the Swanky Shack at least once a week. I love their food, I wish they had margaritas on the rocks though, their frozen margaritas hurt my brain.

Joe T's - We've taken friends and family here a few times, well...you almost have to if someone comes from out of town and wants Mexican. The atmosphere cant be beat and the margaritas are pretty good and plentiful. Beef and chicken is always dry, always.

Uncle Julios - Why is this place doing so well? I've only gone here twice but my experience each time was so disappointing that I will not go back. You cant charge those prices and come up empty on flavor.

Benitos - Like I said earlier, I've only been here once. The only reason Ill go back again is because so many of you ranked it so high. We'll see what I think in the future.

Tres Betos - Cheap breakfast place off of 28th. When you're in a greasy mood head here and you'll get the basics just the way you like it.

Cabo Grande - I've had to go here more times than I'd like, I'm ashamed that it's the "main" Mexican restaurant downtown.

#63 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

With the exceptions of Tres Joses and Fuzzy's, we kind of see eye to eye.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#64 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

We popped into Tres Joses last night for the first time and were both impressed, I had the Chuy's and the rib had their chimichanga with chicken. Very good all around - will be back for more! A coworker brought in a few breakfast tacos the other day and I'll most certainly be stopping by on my way to work to get some more of these tasty taquitos.

#65 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (76107 @ Jan 23 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no expert on Mexican food, but I have to correct the misconception that La Familia has store bought tortillias. They make their tortillias on premises, as they do everything else.

Wow, interesting. I swear the last time I had a flour tortilla there it was clearly store-bought. I'm very sensitive to that. Maybe something happened and they ran out, but in the several times I've been back I have just avoided anything with flour tortillas. I'll try again, thanks for the info.

#66 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

I agree with pmburk; La Playa Maya on the west side is some of the best around. Best unknown/hole in the wall around. Hardly ever a wait to get in, so don't tell anybody. Lunch specials and good happy hour.

Mi Cocina's so crowded, nobody goes there any more.

#67 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

I haven't been there for awhile, being south these days, but I don't see "The Original" on above lists. It used to be so good and so Fort Worth. I would fly in from whereever and my friends and family would head straight there from the airport. So how is it these days...?

#68 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

1. Mi Cocina - downtown (excellent Cheese & Onion Enchiladas)
2. Cabo Grande (excellent grilled fish tacos in the crispy shell, yummy chips and salsa)
3. Cafe Pulido (in Arlington....best beef tacos and sopapillas)
(I have never been to the Pulido's in Fort Worth. Are they the same family and is the food just as good?)

4. La Familia (best frozen strawberry margaritas)

smile.gif mary bess

#69 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

La Familia's the top of my list these days. I love that place. Cabo Grande is right up there solely on the strength of the roasted corn & hot pepper soup. It's very good. Don't ever really get anything else there, so I can't comment beyond that, but the soup is great.

I've seen a lot of people in various places talk about the Original, but I've never been very impressed by it.

--

Kara B.

#70 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

The best-Mex question seems to be puzzle with no answer (at least at my house). I like Uncle Julio's the best (due mainly to the Cadillac Platter), Mi Cocina, Papasito's, Joe T's . My wife loves The Original, El Fenix, Mexican Inn.....I find all of those incredibly OK.

It's a lost cause to agree so we trade off who gets to chose.

#71 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (hooked @ Feb 29 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now there's a brain-twister!

#72 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (JKC @ Mar 5 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hooked @ Feb 29 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now there's a brain-twister!

I think that it was supposed to be a Yogi Berra-ism.

#73 SLO

SLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

The thing about Joe T's is that their basic menu is done very well. Its predictable and very much above average. Then the gardens and grounds make it a landmark. Its more an experience than just a meal. If you have someone come to visit, you have to take them there, its something they'll always remember. It is, one of the great things about FW. All the other good Mexican joints, although good, would be very forgettable for a visitor. Although non-Texans love Uncle Julios and Pappasitos fajitas, theyre hard to beat.

#74 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

Joe T's would make an impression to someone out of the area. I think Caro's and Joe T's have the strongest Margaritas -in that order.
The first time you are served a Margarita at La Familia, the flaming sugar cube is pretty impressive.

#75 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Papasito's is another one I've always been cold towards. Mediocre food and very overpriced, IMHO.

--

Kara B.

#76 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Mar 6 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Papasito's is another one I've always been cold towards. Mediocre food and very overpriced, IMHO.

I agree, Pappas should have stuck to their steaks as their fish (Pappadeaux) is very overpriced, for what you get, as well.

#77 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Holden @ Feb 29 2008, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We popped into Tres Joses last night for the first time and were both impressed, I had the Chuy's and the rib had their chimichanga with chicken.

The rib?

#78 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:51 AM

Yeah, that threw me off too. But I decided not to read it over and over again for the 79th time, fearing that my head would just simply explode. wacko.gif

Anything PAPPAS is over priced (intentionally) and will always provide TOP SERVICE. I know this because of my past work experience. Their chips are great (fried in canola) wub.gif , the tangy salsa can hook you too.
www.iheartfw.com

#79 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

The rib?

Wow, man - think in bibical terms (Genesis) and you will see the light, t-sipper!

#80 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth, triathlons, yoga, crossfit workouts, running, reading, photography

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Holden @ Mar 7 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The rib?

Wow, man - think in bibical terms (Genesis) and you will see the light, t-sipper!

I don't think there are a whole lot of women on this forum and I know this is a bit off topic (I like Fuzzy's best, by the way) but just a quick survey...am I the only one that is a bit offended by referring to a wife as "the rib"? Seriously?

#81 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

I'm a dude, but the rib in a wife term should at least be referenced as "THE RIB".

But yeah, it's kinda creepy/offensive too. If she is Scottish-Irish is she THE MCRIB? rotflmao.gif

Creepy to refer or present YOUR WIFE in any kind of covert biblical term.

www.iheartfw.com

#82 sarahlmac

sarahlmac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth, triathlons, yoga, crossfit workouts, running, reading, photography

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Mar 7 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a dude, but the rib in a wife term should at least be referenced as "THE RIB".

But yeah, it's kinda creepy/offensive too. If she is Scottish-Irish is she THE MCRIB? rotflmao.gif

Creepy to refer or present YOUR WIFE in any kind of covert biblical term.

Ha! I love when McRib can be used in everyday conversations. I wonder if Holden read this article about the 14 biblical ways to acquire a wife:

http://thedietingman...quire-wife.html

a little excerpt:
6. Have God create a wife for you while you sleep. Note: this will cost you a rib.-- Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

#83 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (safly @ Mar 7 2008, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything PAPPAS is over priced (intentionally) and will always provide TOP SERVICE.

Meh. The service wasn't anything special last time I was there (not my choice, attending a get-together with old school friends).

I don't know. I just don't get along with the place. I'm quasi-sorta-vegetarian, and my girlfriend is vegetarian, and Pappasito's vegetarian offerings are pretty pathetic. Maybe that's what threw me off, I don't know.

--

Kara B.

#84 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (Holden @ Mar 7 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The rib?

Oh I got it. I've just never heard that before. Dr. No, I've heard. The rib, never.

#85 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

Um.. si, senor! We’d like to start with an appetizer of nachos with no cheese or jalepenos. And I’ll have the free range beef fajitas minus any of your colorful sauces – after all, PCness is a dish best served bland. And can I have another mintless mojito, por flavor?

The art of the absurd, at least the Czechs truly appreciate this. Oko za oko, zub za zub

#86 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Holden @ Mar 8 2008, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um.. si, senor! We’d like to start with an appetizer of nachos with no cheese or jalepenos. And I’ll have the free range beef fajitas minus any of your colorful sauces – after all, PCness is a dish best served bland. And can I have another mintless mojito, por flavor?

The art of the absurd, at least the Czechs truly appreciate this. Oko za oko, zub za zub

Err, what? Was that directed at me?

Sorry, but vegetarian in no way equals "bland." Vegetarians do eat cheese - vegans don't (at least cheese made from animal products - there are many fine substitutes that aren't). What's PC about it, exactly? We don't care if anybody else is vegetarian (heck, I'm not, for cryin' out loud. I just don't eat meat except rare occasions). People can eat whatever they want. I don't care.

Getting vegetarian-friendly dishes at most every other Mexican place I enjoy is never a problem. At Pappasito's, about the only thing were some cheese enchiladas that tasted like they might as well have been from a can. Very underwhelming. Even then, we had to get them to leave off the meat they slather on top of the cheese enchiladas. Definitely not worth the price we walked out of there for, since we can get more, better offerings elsewhere, usually for quite a bit less (there are at least *fifteen* vegetarian-friendly items on the La Familia menu, for example).

--

Kara B.

#87 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

I feel ya on that. Especially since I know of someone of the fairer sex that is a vegetarian due to GRAVE allergic reactions. So gettin the order taken twice is always a pain, because if we see one bit of bacon on our baconless melted cheese potato skins app, then it could potentially be LIGHTS OUT. So we just love having those options available to us on a CONSISTENT basis at our local SPIRAL DINER. And discovering that if TOFU, grilled just right and mildly spiced, can be a tasty sandwich treat.

It is so simple for numerous diners and eateries to adopt a vegetarian conscious menu. And it COSTS SO MUCH LESS to provide that.

Shame on PAPPAS for not trying.

Perhaps we should educate our FORUM public on the standards for Vegetarianism and Veganism. Just so we don't have a "Rocket" Clemens moment here or God forbid in public.
www.iheartfw.com

#88 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

AG, no sir - not at all.

Merely ribbing the easily bruised who took a slight of hand at humor personally. (Ref. posts #80-#82)

#89 drstevens

drstevens

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

I've heard about the Original all my life, so went a couple of times, once back in the 70's and another again in the 90s. Someone please explain, it was inedible garbage. Benitos was okay, but again, I don't get it. My Mexican born wife agrees on both. We love La Playa Maya, Esperanza's, and for shear wonderfully prepared food my money goes to Rio Mambo - MMMM, some of my favorite dishes. I like Caros (my wife hate's it) mainly because I've been going since I can remember, but talk about heavy. Used to really like Mercado Juarez before it was bought by the Dos Gringos group and all my favorite dishes removed from the menu. Recently discoverd a great place in Dallas Oak Cliff called El Ranchito that is wonderful, authentic and has a great festive atmosphere. A lot of places listed here that I have to try though.

Not mexican restaurants, but a couple of mexican style dishes that I love - I miss the Waterstreet shrimp enchiladas, no one comes close to those, and Bistro Louise's Pistacio Crusted Rellenos are to die for.

#90 rocker099

rocker099

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

I am in graduate school down in San Antonio, and have been living here since 2003 and found that the best Mexican food comes from little taqueria stands and hole in the wall restaurants. However, I have yet find that in Fort Worth although, I am sure that there is a lot of those taqueria places. One lesson I learned from having roomates from MX is that if you want "authentic" Mexican food don't go to a major tourist place like Mi Tierra here in San Antonio and Joe T in FW.

#91 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (rocker099 @ Mar 19 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in graduate school down in San Antonio, and have been living here since 2003 and found that the best Mexican food comes from little taqueria stands and hole in the wall restaurants. However, I have yet find that in Fort Worth although, I am sure that there is a lot of those taqueria places. One lesson I learned from having roomates from MX is that if you want "authentic" Mexican food don't go to a major tourist place like Mi Tierra here in San Antonio and Joe T in FW.

You are absolutly right. I have really never gotten too excited about Tex-Mex, You know, it is sorta in between Mexican and ? Texican food. However there are getting to be more real Mexican places and taqueria stands around than there used to be. When I first moved here from the Chicago area I lamented that the Mexican food in Chicago was better than Texas. That was because everything here at that time was Tex-Mex and I hadn't been around that kind of food much, just a cut above Taco Bell.

One local place we used to patronize when my wife (rib?) was going veggie was Oscars in Haltom City. One of my favorite bites is a torta. Used to get them all the time in California and Chicago and now they are showing up here finally. Right now the best one for my money is at a place called El Taco H on North Tarrant in Watauga, across the street from Home Depot. I'm sure there are plenty of good torta's at stands in Ft Worth also but this one is close by and they start my order when I walk in the door. Thanks to Buck for turning me onto the place. cheeburga.gif

#92 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

Amen ROCKER!

Where have you been these past 3 years? I could have used your support in implementing my conversions on this board.

Mi Tierra is only visited by my family (from SA) MAYBE once every 6 or 7 years. If we are caught up in DTSA and the stomach is grumblin and growlin. There just not any hole in the wall taquerias in DTSA, near the shopping/touristy areas. The late Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez celebrated his last birthday party dinner at the family's restaurant (near I-10W and UTSA area). And once you walk into Mi Tierra's standing room only lobby, you will see the tall standing framed picture that immortalizes the 6' 4" The DUKE and the 5'4" Mr. Gonzalez (Rio Bravo) that will surely prep your dinner experience with a nice chuckle. I do know that one of the most POWERFUL NFL sports agent tandem just LOVES Mi Tierra's when they come to visit SA. But what do you expect from Floridians? Ha!

Anyhow, quite the astute OBSERVER on both great cities. ENJOY SA!
www.iheartfw.com

#93 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

I really missed the Original while we were in Houston and since we go to church close by there, I was anxious to go there. The food has gone down since the 70's and 80's and we've had a couple of bad experiences there so we've pretty much given up on it. The last time we ate there, my husband asked for a glass of water as he was coughing. The waitress brought him a glass and it was awful. It smelled like sewage. The waitress said she had had a few complaints...well duh. She said the city told them it would taste bad for awhile. Our drinks of course had that same sewage smell. Finally my husband went to the car and grabbed some bottled water which we drank with our meals. Last time we had the urge for Mexican, we went to Cantina Laredo downtown. We've taken the kids to Joe T's which they liked, but it's just not worth the wait.

#94 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (hannerhan @ Feb 29 2008, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (76107 @ Jan 23 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no expert on Mexican food, but I have to correct the misconception that La Familia has store bought tortillias. They make their tortillias on premises, as they do everything else.

Wow, interesting. I swear the last time I had a flour tortilla there it was clearly store-bought. I'm very sensitive to that. Maybe something happened and they ran out, but in the several times I've been back I have just avoided anything with flour tortillas. I'll try again, thanks for the info.

I ate at La Familia this weekend, and those tortillas (they charge $1 for 3 by the way) were most certainly not made fresh. If they are make on premises, they do it once a week or something. No comparison with the ones at Pappasitos, Uncle Julio's, Joe T's, Molcajetes, etc. They were really small as well.

Like cberen said, I really like Al, and I really want to like the place. But that tortilla thing just kills me (we have 3 little kids, and mow through at least 10 tortillas every time we eat out).

Atomic said Pappasitos is overpriced, but we eat there for lunch and come out for under $20 much of the time. Everything is big enough to split, and their chips/salsa and tortillas are top notch. They only charge for cokes about half the time, they never charge for kids drinks (doesn't apply to everyone I know), and the food is always good. You just have to stay away from the $15 fajitas and you'll be OK on price.

#95 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

Ditto on the tortilla tip and PAPPA'S chips. cheeburga.gif

If Al wants it, I have a BESCO tortilla press that he could use. Does one at a time, but OH SO GOOD. Gotta wait for the doughball to "cry" , then release.

The thought just crossed my mind. Wouldn't that be NEATO if Al had the patrons make their own torillas with the press, after the staff rolls the dough balls. He could man that machine and show them how to make tortillas flat and fresh. It's not like he doesn't have the time to do it. 1 minute tops for 4 torillas.

I meant NEATO in an interactive way. I can see the lines now with all the kiddos. It's unique quirky lil things like that which can really make your restaurant stand out.
www.iheartfw.com

#96 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

As the newest member on this site, I thought I would add my two cents in this thread here for my first post, though it seems a little dated. AFter reading through it last night, my wife and I decided to try El Asadero, and I have to say that it is certainly one of the best in town, based on the first visit. I am also a fan of Benito's, my wife is very partial to Joe T's. La Familia is also good. As far as the chains go, I really like the new Cantina Laredo downtown - they marinate all their meat for I believe 48 hours, at least 24 anyway, and it is excellent. I also like the spinach enchiladas with all of the veggies on top at Mi Cocina downtown.

#97 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

Oh, I almost forgot - for our last anniversary, we went to Lanny's Alta Cocina, which is certainly one of the very best in town, and not as expensive as one might think. I was very surprised not to see it mentioned in this thread before.

#98 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to the forum. Your post is not dated. You may reply to any topic on this board, even one that hasn't had any activity in a few years.

#99 TxConnie

TxConnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

We went to Vallarta's this afternoon after reading this thread. The shrimp cocktail was good, but I like La Playa's and JJ's better.
I really miss Laredo's. They had the best. Does anyone know if the owner died? I noticed he sold his dance place downtown also a couple of years ago.

#100 learsfool

learsfool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

Last night I finally tried Acapulco, after reading many good things about it here. I would have to say that it lived up to the hype. The shrimp cocktail and shrimp enchiladas were amazing, I had some catfish done with a garlic sauce, of all things, that was really good, and my sister-in-law ordered what proved to be the most tender octopus any of us had ever had. The salsa was excellent, as were the beans and rice. The only strange thing was that they served fries with the two fish entrees we ordered, which we all thought was very odd, though I had to admit the potatoes do go well with the fish. But hey safly, is that really authentic Mexican cuisine??????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users