9 replies to this topic

#1 Lori

Lori

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

I work in a building near this beautiful church...well, beautiful is relative, it COULD be beautiful, if someone would put some love and care into it.  I had high hopes for a while when the little company behind it purchased the property, but they promptly demolished one of the two buildings, worked on the other for a while and then disappeared...it has become more and more dilapidated as the years have passed.  Several years ago I created an account here for the express purpose of asking about this building, because I do love it so much.  I can't find that thread any more, so I am back and creating a new thread to ask if anyone knows what all the commotion and hubub is around the Sanctuary church building today.  There are police cars all over the place, and it looks like they are putting up screens for filming something, but I can't figure out what is going on.  All the police officer that I asked knew was that they were doing some kind of "historic thingy". 

I really hope they are doing something with the end goal being to get the building renovated.  I could even see Hull doing some of the work, since they are right next door here, and they already have an "in" on TV, having had their little 6 or so episode series on the History channel this year. Might I add, watching out my office windows as they renovated a caboose was pretty incredible, and I really wish I had taken photos as they were going along, for posterity.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

I found the thread.  It was titled "400 Hemphill St. Church For Sale".  I am Chairman of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. and we have our ears to the ground all of the time to get information on as many historic buildings in the city as we can.  Right now, I do not know of anything going on with the building.  I can check tomorrow to see if anyone at HFW has some information.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

In 2015 there was plans for a restaurant evidently. About halfway down the article posted in this thread-

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=6094

#4 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I saw that yesterday too.  Looks like they were filming something against the south wall of the building.

#5 Lori

Lori

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

It was all gone this morning, no more police or hoopla.  I really hope that someone is going to do SOMETHING with this building.  There is supposed to be a restaurant/bar coming in across from us at the old plumbing accessories building. They went as far as putting a sign up, but nothing has happened in months over there.  I work at Dickies, in the Stephen F. Austin school building at 319 Lipscomb, and I love that some things are being renovated and repurposed around us.  I am seriously considering joining HFW, as I really love this city and all the history here.  A year or so ago we even took a "ghost tour" of the downtown area at night, it was quite interesting.  Our CEO's family is related by marriage to the family that built Thistle Hill, that is what actually originally brought me to this site...learning the history of that house.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

Lori, you should get in touch with Jerre Tracy, Historic Fort Worth's Executive Director.  I'm sure she would love to hear about your connection to Thistle Hill.  It's great that you work in such a historic building.  A few years ago, HFW had a tour of the building. 

I have been negligent of my duties.  We had a meeting at lunch today at HFW, and I was going to ask Jerre if she knew what was going on at the church, but I didn't.  Everyone was on a short time schedule and the discussion was very spirited.  I didn't get a chance to ask.  However, I will e-mail her right now to see if I can find out anything.

#7 Lori

Lori

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

I did find out what it was, one of the guys here went and talked to the cops for a while.  Apparently they are filming part of an episode of Queen of the South, a TV show on USA (which I happen to love so yay) there.  They will more than likely be back during the night one night and a couple of times for exterior shots over the next few weeks. Thanks all!  And John, I look forward to getting more involved with HFW. And yeah, I do actually know it is Gustavus Adolphus, I don't know where Augustus came from the other day when I was making this thread.  I don't know how to fix the title of a thread....

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

I didn't get any specific information on what was being filmed, but I did find out that several film crews are in the city right now.  I will correct the name of the church.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

According to recent permits filed, this space will be an artist studio called "The Sanctuary".

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:33 PM

The case for a Certificate of Appropriateness to Demolish the church is on the HCLC agenda for October 10th. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users