26 replies to this topic

#1 oskie

oskie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

Any ideas why neither of these grocery stores exist in FW or are downtown? It seems like TJ's would be a great fit.

#2 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(oskie @ Sep 23 2006, 07:19 PM) View Post

Any ideas why neither of these grocery stores exist in FW or are downtown? It seems like TJ's would be a great fit.

No disrespect, and they both have their charms, but I just moved to Philadelphia close to both a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods - and in my opinion, they ain't all that... Lot's of VERY EXPENSIVE organic items infused with granola. Give me Central Market any day. Worth moving to Texas for...

#3 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Welcome to the forum, oskie. I moved this to a more fitting area, though.

#4 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

I may be able to partly answer that question. Whole Foods is a publicly traded company and as such is rather conservative when it comes to following rules and doing due dilligence. They have to go by very conservative measures for demographics and FW simply doesn't meet them. That's not to say FW couldn't support Whole Foods. I think they would do very well here. But their bean counters won't let them. Central Market is owned by HEB, a privately held company. They are not responsible to shareholders and thus freer to use less conservative demographic measures.

I have no idea what the deal with Trader Joe's is, though. Public or private, they don't have a metroplex presence at all, but they do have one in Houston so they're obviously not afraid of the Texas market.

Trader Joe's would be perfect for Downtown though I couldn't see a Whole Foods there for awhile.

#5 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

I haven't been to either one, but Mrs. ghughes really likes Whole Foods and makes the trek to Arlington now and then. But there are others who have asked about the "why" and the answer is always pretty much as Sam says: Whole Foods doesn't see Fort Worth as a market they want to be in, and it's all about demographics. In other words, nothing personal, it's strictly business.

But my question is, if there is so much demand in Fort Worth for what Whole Foods has to offer, where is the start-up or entrepreneurial effort to replicate them here?

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

There's another grocery chain like Whole Foods-

Wild Oats Market.

They have smaller Sun Harvest stores in Austin and San Antonio.

Why not lure them here, especially in the absence of Whole Foods?

#7 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Sep 24 2006, 07:46 PM) View Post

I may be able to partly answer that question. Whole Foods is a publicly traded company and as such is rather conservative when it comes to following rules and doing due dilligence. They have to go by very conservative measures for demographics and FW simply doesn't meet them. That's not to say FW couldn't support Whole Foods. I think they would do very well here. But their bean counters won't let them. Central Market is owned by HEB, a privately held company. They are not responsible to shareholders and thus freer to use less conservative demographic measures.

I have no idea what the deal with Trader Joe's is, though. Public or private, they don't have a metroplex presence at all, but they do have one in Houston so they're obviously not afraid of the Texas market.

Trader Joe's would be perfect for Downtown though I couldn't see a Whole Foods there for awhile.

No Trader Joe's in Houston. Or anywhere in Texas.

#8 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

Not every store they have meet their "conservative meaures for demographics." sleep.gif

#9 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

I stand corrected--I was sure they had one in Houston, but I was obviously thinking of something else.

To clarify what I mean by conservative: a relatively high minimum number of households within some radius that have a household income above X, and not overlapping the radius of an existing store. I didn't mean conservative in its political sense.

#10 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

With restaurants like Reata and soon others with similar themes, we are seen as country bumpkins that wouldn't understand the concept of whole foods. They think we are a meat/potato blue collar town first and foremost.

Nothing that Fort Worth does tries to stop that line of thinking with its city/tourist promotions.

#11 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

I agree with youngalum. The reason probably is perception. FW just isn't seen as a city that would be welcoming to the Whole Foods organic (and pricey) concept. The same reasoning, IMO, is why Angelika opened up a second metroplex theater in Plano instead of FW. The company probably feels that blue collar FW just isn't the place for independant cinema. (Rumor has it that Magnolia Theaters is considering a location in Glory Park in Arlington near the new cowboys stadium.) Also grocers operate on a very thin profit margin. It makes sense that they would be very picky about where to locate stores. Consider the Urban Market in Dallas. That place is pretty busy most of the time, and they still are not making a profit yet.

#12 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

I like Central Market better, myself. Been to Whole Foods a few times, and while I thought it was nifty enough, don't really see a burning need to have one here.

--

Kara B.

#13 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

I didn't know what to expect the first time I went into a Central Market. I must say, I like Whole Foods much better. CM just seemed liked a higher priced Tom Thumb to me. But I will go there ocassionaly for some of the prepared meals. They make an awesome meatloaf.

#14 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

Since we are starting a ratings contest between Central Market and Whole Foods I might as well toss out my opinion. I like both of them. To me they are just opposite sides of the same coin. Of course in Keller, neither is close enough to shop at regularly so the Kroger is my weekly store of choice. When we lived in Naperville, IL we were regulars at the Whole Foods and now I occansionally go to Central Market in Ft Worth.
Both are Texas headquarted businesses so I wonder who had the concept first?

The new Central Market in Southlake is supposed to open in November and they are saying it is the first new CM in 4 years. Also they have a hiring office for the Southlake store in Keller. I guess they figured they wouldn't find too many people in Southlake that wanted to work in a grocery store and Keller would have more candidates. smile.gif

#15 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

^^^^
I thought the Southlake CM opened months ago. It seems like its been talked about forever.

#16 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Sep 26 2006, 06:11 PM) View Post

I agree with youngalum. The reason probably is perception. FW just isn't seen as a city that would be welcoming to the Whole Foods organic (and pricey) concept. The same reasoning, IMO, is why Angelika opened up a second metroplex theater in Plano instead of FW. The company probably feels that blue collar FW just isn't the place for independant cinema. (Rumor has it that Magnolia Theaters is considering a location in Glory Park in Arlington near the new cowboys stadium.) Also grocers operate on a very thin profit margin. It makes sense that they would be very picky about where to locate stores. Consider the Urban Market in Dallas. That place is pretty busy most of the time, and they still are not making a profit yet.

I've personally talked with managers responsible for developing new stores and based on those conversations....I think you're right!

Fort Worthians have been supporting Whole Foods for decades.

#17 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I don't think it's a matter of perception at all. CJ is absolutely right, FW residents shop at WF all the time. But this is my point. They site the stores using a radius of households. I wish I could tell you what that radius is and what the inome/age/education level are, but I don't know. What is obvious though is that it is a very large radius and thus precludes them from opening up another store within it. I don't know whether CM's presence affects WF's decisions, but if they do, I imagine this also slows down the location of WF in FW so as not to have to compete.

Regarding the difference between WF and CM there are definitely a few. WF caters a little bit more to the healthy/organic/vegetarian market. CM caters a bit more to the upscale/luxury/gourmet market. They probably overlap more than they differ, but the differences are there. Particularly produce, which CM outdoes WF on.

Personally, I prefer CM to WF, but I'll tell you what: I'm currently living in Indiana where the supermarkets are much more what I imagine supermarkets were like in the 1950s or the Soviet Uniion so I'd be happy for just a Tom Thumb.

#18 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

Okay, so I'm a contrarian: the people I know that can least afford CM shop there, and the people who are trying to make a healthy point go to WF...(despite the fact that they may still smoke or be obese---hey, it makes them FEEL good.) As for me, I don't like either for regular shopping. I buy lunches (RTE food) at WF when I'm out of town, but I would LOVE to see a Market Street come our way!!! I drive all the way to Colleyville to shop there...let's see: reasonable prices (not Tom Thumb or CM), great selections, RTE boulevard to die for, great wines and....TOILET paper. One stop shopping!!! Plus reasonably priced flowers...it just doesn't get any better IMHO!

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

I'm a huge fan of Market Street. I'm going to have little reason to drive past the Colleyville location to go the CM in Southlake. I'm sure CM will cut into their business, but the way that place is already hopping, I can't imagine they're too worried.

vjack, I think construction on the Southlake CM started nearly a year after it was originally announced. Anyone have any idea of what other stores are opening in that center?

#20 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

SOUTHLAKE - Sprouts, a grocery store that specializes in produce, is slated to break ground at Randol Mill Road and Southlake Boulevard later this month.

The 30,000-square-foot store will probably open by early summer, said Doug Sanders, chief operating officer of the Arizona chain.

The store also sells natural meats, seafood and hormone-free milk, according to the company. It also sells bulk foods in bins and hosts cooking classes.

I"ve been to the Plano store twice and it's really awesome. It reminded me a little of Trader Joes. It's a shame this is another retailer that has bypassed FW...this store would be a great fit for Camp Bowie or the TCU Area. It's odd that they're sticking to DFW surburbs.

#21 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Oct 9 2006, 08:52 AM) View Post

SOUTHLAKE - Sprouts, a grocery store that specializes in produce, is slated to break ground at Randol Mill Road and Southlake Boulevard later this month.

The 30,000-square-foot store will probably open by early summer, said Doug Sanders, chief operating officer of the Arizona chain.

The store also sells natural meats, seafood and hormone-free milk, according to the company. It also sells bulk foods in bins and hosts cooking classes.

I"ve been to the Plano store twice and it's really awesome. It reminded me a little of Trader Joes. It's a shame this is another retailer that has bypassed FW...this store would be a great fit for Camp Bowie or the TCU Area. It's odd that they're sticking to DFW surburbs.

Actually, there is one at Forest @ Marsh in North Dallas.

#22 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Oct 9 2006, 09:30 AM) View Post

[Actually, there is one at Forest @ Marsh in North Dallas.

Thanks, Jeff I didn't know that. I thought Sprouts was ignoring both cities, but I guess you can add them to the list of retailers who feel FW isn't the city for such things.

#23 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Oct 9 2006, 09:53 AM) View Post

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Oct 9 2006, 09:30 AM) View Post

[Actually, there is one at Forest @ Marsh in North Dallas.

Thanks, Jeff I didn't know that. I thought Sprouts was ignoring both cities, but I guess you can add them to the list of retailers who feel FW isn't the city for such things.

Who knows... they are still "sprouting".

#24 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

I have another hypothesis. Southlake and some of the other burbs probably have a much higher population of recent transplants from other states than FW proper. I'm sure that there exists sophisticated marketing techniques that can keep up with customers as they move from state to state. Maybe a lot of these companies aren't ignoring FW so much as effectively chasing down their loyal customers.

#25 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

What about these markets?

Sunflower Shoppe in FW or Healthy Approach in Colleyville?

http://www.sunflower...A09CD9AB0A0C044

#26 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:27 AM

I have no idea what the deal with Trader Joe's is, though. Public or private, they don't have a metroplex presence at all.....

Trader Joe's is owned by the German discount grocery giant Aldi. Aldi is a "hard discounter" - the closest equivelent here in the Metroplex is the Save-A-Lot chain. The only thing is that, in Europe with its stagnant economy and lower standards of living, even people from affluent demographics regularly shop Aldi stores. Trader Joe's is a division they created for the American market.

The company finances its expansion entirely with cash and some say that its operations are more efficient than even Wal-mart's. It is privately owned and, at least as of a couple of years ago, its co-founder was the world's third richest man worth 23 billion.

I have yet to go to a Trader Joe's - but I did, out of curiosity, walk through an Aldi store I stumbled across while driving through Salina, Kansas a few years back. It looked pretty much like a Save-A-Lot.

You can read a very interesting article about the company at: http://www.businessw...17/b3880010.htm
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#27 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

When I lived in So Cal, at least half of my groceries came from Trader Joes. They have good stuff.

QUOTE(Dismuke @ Oct 11 2006, 04:27 AM) View Post

You can read a very interesting article about the company at: http://www.businessw...17/b3880010.htm

Thanks for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users