• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#51 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

It's the real deal. And he still needs your help. So let's do what we can. Clock is ticking. One more month left.

Keep them "dukes" up BERNIE.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#52 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

I went to the Council District 9 forum tonight sponsored by the Fort Worth League of Voters. I got a little better feel for the candidates and have narrowed my field of favorites down a little. My thoughts on the candidates:

Jim Beckman came off a little condescending about the age issue and the youth of the other candidates. Didn't win any points with this 35 year-old district resident. No standout issues. I did not agree with his position on TRV.

Joel Burns came off in a much better light than I expected. His answers were reasonable and in sharp contrast to the way his campaign is run. Before the forum my impression of him is that he is being over-handled handled by his campaign. The handlers have allowed some mistakes to stain my impressions of someone who could be doing better if he wasn't so over-packaged. I think he had the weakest use of the microphone and I wonder if some people in the back could actually hear him.

Juan Rangel bothered me more than I expected. He really had the politician thing going. I am curious why he is still sitting on the FWISD Board while running for another office. It may not be a requirement by the FWISD that he step down, but it seems like he is a little conflicted on that account. If he wins the election will he remain a Trustee? Also, it seems to me that he is using his position on FWISD to make decisions to support his election instead of making decisions in the best interest of FWISD. I understand tomorrow we will hear that he pushed the board to adopt drilling guidelines for FWISD property. Not that that is a bad thing, it just seems a little contrived. He brought up the fact that he is the only officeholder running, which isn't necessarily a positive.

Bernie Scheffler did pretty well and I think has earned the right to issue press releases proclaiming himself to be the frontrunner. He took a firm stand on urban gas drilling where others were mild or even obfuscating and got a big round of applause for that. His response on the TRV question was the best in my opinion and got a big applause from the audience also. I thought he was going to get eaten alive by these professional politicians and political consultants, but he was smart and direct and did very well.

Chris Turner came off a little more slick than I expected. He sidestepped the gas well issue with comments about technology to keep the processing equipment away from residential areas. Well, that's nice, but the well is stilll right in your 'hood. Did he even address the variance question? I appreciate his attempt to be spontaneous and bright on the microphone, but I think he would have sounded better if he had put the microphone down and address the room with his loud and projecting voice without amplification. His reply about the TRV question made him sound like he is in the hip pocket of the land developers and builders. He also seemed to imply that due to a couple of years of service in City Hall ten years ago that he could make the place the model of efficiency if he is elected. I imagine that he can push for reform, but I would be amazed if anyone could accomplish everything Chris claims he can do by "knocking on the right doors".

I briefly met Dan McGraw in the foyer after the forum. I am looking forward to talking to him more about the streetcar circulator initiative in the near future.

Good show by all and I look forward to hearing more from the candidates.

Andy Nold
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#53 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

I could not attend the forum because I was attending the Section 106 review and public hearing on the new Tarrant County College Downtown Campus. I finally saw the model of the campus and the bluff. I really wanted to be at both meetings, but I had previously committed to representing Historic Fort Worth at the TCC meeting.

#54 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

These "professional" politicians and political consultants just have no room here in FW. Absolutely no room. This Distr.9 is grass roots and they want a CONTENDER. That is, IMO, Bernie Scheffler. Frontrunner indeed.

I too am glad to hear that he is adjusting well to the exposure and mic presence. It can be scary at first, believe me I know. But once you break down that "dimension", it all comes down to a conversation you are having with SOMEONE in that audience, with what you know or want others to know. Really nothing else.

Glad the candidates stepped it up and finally had some dialogue going around.

Yah, that AGE ISSUE comment would have had me throwin pies. Just consider where the majority of his signs are staked at within the District. I sensed Juan Rangel would come off like that since his first interview I read. That comment about Burns doesn't surprise me either. Groomed is what you reffered to, and that is the norm for "homeboys". I did receive a mailout from him, interesting VALUES slant. I could care less about his "HOMETOWN VALUES" in my local government. That's what Checks and Balances are for. And to my knowledge, al the candidates don't have any real VALUES issues anyways, that is so 1990's poli-topic. Besides, my HOMETOWN VALUES tell me to go door to door on my own and plead my case to the public, not mail my thoughts with a 1970's family pic. I could never understand that, why mail out to a district when you could be REACHING OUT to such an approachable audience who are thirsting for an opportunity to be REPRESENTED and RESPECTED this time around. As for TURNER, he simply will not give you the time of day unless you are SOMEONE to him or his peeps. And I know that for a fact. Basically, he is the guy that would only sit in the balcony box at The BASS. Ugggh, gimme a break here Nell Carter, and go to DALLAS with that tude. Now there seems to be only one political candidate campaigning to make a real and viable difference, instead of just blabbing off to simply BE ELECTED. And I think all of us here know who that one person is.

So was the gas money "lockbox" issue brought up???

BTW, let us know about that streetcar deal.
www.iheartfw.com

#55 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:33 AM

Just a note for the Vote Bernie crowd in District 9...

The difference in this election will happen on the ground on election day. I doubt that Bernie has had the resources to canvass the district very thoroughly, but you guys can do everything you can to identify your voters, get their contact info, and by God get them to the polls on election day. In a low-turnout multi-way race like this, a few dozen votes here and there will be the difference. The teams that do the best job doing what I describe will come out on top. Period.

Bernie can't do this on his own, so if you believe in his candidacy, start talking to prospective voters in that district, get their phone numbers, and make plans to call them come election day. Make sure they know where to vote. Make sure they have transportation to and from their voting place. These are the things that will ultimately settle this.

I don't really have a horse in this race, except to say that I find Bernie to be honest and sincere in his love of Fort Worth. I do not believe he would ever sell out his constituents. For that reason I am cheering for him, even though I have mild disagreements with him about some fairly major issues. He certainly would be a credit to the city to have on our council.

#56 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Agreed.

He was my favorite going in and I have plenty of money riding on him. JUST KIDDING about the money thing! wink.gif

Seriously, Bernie has taken those exact positions since DAY1. It's as if these reporters ABSOLUTELY FORGOT his STANCE ON ISSUES from the previous election. Another thing is that it BOGGLES the mind when I discuss Distr. 9 prospects and Bernie's name "comes up", that I will get a rhetorical "So what party is he with?????" WT? Who cares? Distr. 9 and FW for that matter has no leverage with ANY party affiliation, WHATSOEVER? We're not them blue blooded Yankees up in BOSTON and we're not them Red Blooded GOP'ers from Carmel, CA. Trust me, if Bernie were trying to enter a local race in those parts and in the same "outsider" or "transplant" status as he is now, he would FLAT OUT get walked on. This is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to make a CHANGE in our local representative government. IF you WANT CHANGE, THEN MAKE IT HAPPEN!

IF he is elected, and I say IF, because of PRECISELY what CB touched on, then his election into office will hit the newswire as far as the eyes can see. And guess who is gonna get the pub and come out smelling like roses in all of this? THE Fort Worth Forum and THIS CITY. Why? Because now we have a TRUE VIRAL Online Portal that has shaped this election and MADE A DIFFERENCE in our own little political process here. This website has EVOLVED into something John and it's founders probably NEVER imagined it would have from the beginning. And it is certainly a model of FREE SPEECH and COMMUNITY in my book. That BEST OF article was just the "TRi-TIP" of the iceberg. Let's keep it rolling.

Your thoughts.
www.iheartfw.com

#57 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

I agree!

I have a note into Bernie to see what's needed.

Election is November 6th, so time is short.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#58 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 11 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post

And guess who is gonna get the pub and come out smelling like roses in all of this? THE Fort Worth Forum and THIS CITY. Why? Because now we have a TRUE VIRAL Online Portal that has shaped this election and MADE A DIFFERENCE in our own little political process here. This website has EVOLVED into something John and it's founders probably NEVER imagined it would have from the beginning. And it is certainly a model of FREE SPEECH and COMMUNITY in my book. That BEST OF article was just the "TRi-TIP" of the iceberg. Let's keep it rolling.

Your thoughts.

Fort Worth is about to hit a blogging/online revolution, I think. Between the success of this forum, and the emergence of locally plugged-in bloggers like Steve-o, Pete, and yours truly smile.gif , I think we're really seeing the beginnings of something great going on here.

FYI, Steve-o, Pete, Bernie and myself do a podcast every Sunday. Y'all should check it out.

--

Kara B.

#59 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

http://www.star-tele...ory/264217.html

By Anthony Spangler and Mike Lee
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH -- The big money came out early in two local elections.

The field in each race -- one to replace Wendy Davis on the Fort Worth City Council, the other to replace Anna Mowery in the Texas House -- is crowded.

And because the elections were called on short notice, the candidates have to raise money quickly.

Fort Worth City Council District 9

Less than two months into the race for the unexpired District 9 City Council term, the six candidates -- Jim Beckman, Joel Burns, Mark Pederson, Juan Rangel Jr., Bernie Scheffler and Chris Turner -- have raised about $80,000 collectively, according to the candidates' first public campaign reports.

Burns has raised the most, nearly $40,000. The largest donations were from Dolly Angle, who gave $2,500, and the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, a national political action committee, which gave $2,000. Four more contributions were more than $1,000 each.

But Beckman and Turner have larger pots of money because of loans to themselves.

Beckman's report shows he put up $100,000 and raised $12,600, including two $1,250 donations from Bass family political action committees.

Turner loaned himself $50,000 and has raised $16,740, including $3,000 from Tex Moncrief, the uncle of Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief.

Rangel raised $11,750 bolstered by $2,500 from the Fort Worth Firefighters Committee for Responsible Government.

Scheffler and Pederson trailed with totals of $1,613 and $200, respectively.

Including candidates' loans to themselves, more money has poured into this abbreviated race than into the costliest City Council race in May.

Then, incumbent Jungus Jordan won 51 percent of the vote and spent $100,000. Challengers Clyde Picht and Dalton Harrell spent about $30,000 between them.

In the District 9 election in May, Davis, who is stepping down to run for another office, spent about $37,000 to defeat Scheffler, who spent about $1,600. The six candidates now vying for the seat have already spent a combined $45,000.

The district encompasses downtown Fort Worth and extends south to Interstate 20 between Interstate 35 and University Drive.

House District 97

Mowery's former district covers most of west Fort Worth and stretches southwest to Benbrook.

Of the seven candidates, Craig Goldman has a big lead in contributions, raising $182,453 from more than 300 donors. He reported spending $17,129.

Goldman, who once worked for former Sen. Phil Gramm, said he was able to tap a network of former Gramm staffers. About 36 percent of his contributions came from outside Texas, but he also received 132 from firms and individuals in Fort Worth (including $1,000 from pianist Van Cliburn), more than any other candidate.

"I truly am honored and privileged and humbled," Goldman said.

Bob Leonard, who held the seat before Mowery, loaned his campaign $100,000. He raised $47,320 in contributions and has spent $42,012. But he said he is not convinced that money will win the election.

"We had our campaign planned out, and we're going to run our campaign," he said.

Other candidates said they were concerned about the effect of the money.

"It obviously gives [Goldman] resources to do stuff that wouldn't otherwise be possible," said Chris Hatch, a Fort Worth school trustee.

Hatch has raised $6,550, including $5,000 from Larry Shaw, president of the United Educators Association. He has spent close to $9,000 of his own money.

The lone Democrat, attorney Dan Barrett, has raised $36,690. About three-fourths came from lawyers or law firms.

Dr. Mark Shelton, a Republican, got about 73 percent of his contributions -- $27,650 out of $37,600 -- from doctors and medical associations, including $10,000 from the Texas Medical Association. He has loaned himself $5,000.

Shelton said he also got significant support from lawyers, businessmen and bankers. "I think people ultimately look at the candidate and make a decision based on that," he said.

A spokesman for Barrett's campaign, Deejay Johanssen, discounted the fundraising gap.

"Mr. Barrett is communicating with voters about issues they care about -- we think that will get him into a runoff," he said.

Jeff Humber, a healthcare executive, loaned his campaign $50,000 and raised $3,620.

James Schull raised $2,800 and spent $2,500.

CAMPAIGN FINANCE REPORTS

Candidate Money raised Money spent Remaining funds
Mark Pederson $200 $129 $70
Juan Rangel Jr. $11,750 $4,956 $0
Chris Turner $16,740 $5,508 $11,231
Bernie Scheffler $1,613 $975 $138
Jim Beckman $12,600 $15,470 $97,126*
Joel Burns $39,024 $18,083 $16,492
*Includes self loan
Source: Candidates' campaign finance reports on file with the city of Fort Worth

House District 97

Craig Goldman $181,453 $17,129 $162,692
Bob Leonard $47,320 $42,012 $113,169*
Mark Shelton $37,700 $15,423 $30,786*
Dan Barrett $36,788 $21,820 $10,380
Jeff Humber $3,620 $22,104 $31,143*
Chris Hatch $6,550 $15,498 $5,680*
James Schull $2,800 $2,500 $300
*Includes self loan
Source: Candidates' campaign finance reports on file with the Texas Ethics Commission
Anthony Spangler, 817-390-7420
aspangler@star-telegram.com
Mike Lee, 817-390-7539
mikelee@star-telegram.com

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#60 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

"Atomic Glee" stole my thunder. I'd like to do a story about all the blogs dedicated to Fort Worth - with all the community blogging about ifestyle, politics, city government, etc. I was going to focus on five blogs, which seem to be the most active and on-point regarding community blogging on Fort Worth (in no particular order)

fortwortharchitecture.com/forum
fortworthholeinthewall.blogspot.com
ripsreviews.blogspot.com
cowtownchronicles.com
fortworthology.com

(Now, I would include iheartfw.com but only if it were not during an election cycle, cause I think Bernie does a great job blogging about Fort Worth.)

Maybe I could get those of you who run these blogs to call me at the office.

Anthony Spangler, reporter
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

#61 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

Let me be quite clear when I say that Bernie has to earn my vote. If I vote for him, it is not because I know him from the forum. We do disagree about some of the issues, but I think the agreements outweigh the disagreements. He's doing a pretty good job at earning that vote and he is currently the frontrunner based on last Tuesday's performance.

#62 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

That's fine and that's the point. I would hope that ALL candidates would have to EARN YOUR VOTE.

Me and so many others are siding with his campaign due to the fact that his tone and ideals about the local government and local economy have not changed, in fact have become more recognizable, realistic and INNOVATIVE all at the same time. Let's not forget that he can face overwhelming odds and defeat, while still showing the class and distinction of a model citizen and WINNER. Besides, I hear he has taken it on the chin and actually dressed up in full suit and tie at the last event. Momma taught him right. smile.gif

If we want to captivate and attain the youth vote and all the possibilities and talent tied in with our city's future, then who better than a bright young small business owner to guide both this district and city in that direction.

Believe me when I say that IF he is elected, he would be the first to admit that the courageous efforts and hardwork are far from over and that the city of FW and the 9th District ALL have a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to become BIG WINNERS in the grand scheme of things for years to come. There is still plenty to deliver on AFTER the FACT.
www.iheartfw.com

#63 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

Just got back from tonight's District 9 Council race forum. Another great event partially organized by FWArch Forumer Greg Hughes. A lot more time compared to the last one. I don't think I will over analyze this one at this point, since I am a little tired. But it is funny that at the beginning of his comments, Chris Burns addressed previous criticism about his speaking voice. I talked to him a little after the event and he talked about the "one to many Dr. Peppers" comment on one of the blogs.

FWArch Forumer Bernie Scheffler did well again. Lots of recognizable faces tonight including brief comments from Wendy Davis. I also saw and spoke with Startlegrammer Tony Spangler, ex-councilman Clyde Picht, former candidate Mike Utt, Bud Kennedy was there for a bit, and Chris Brassard to name a few folks.

#64 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

I noticed this one was widely talked about as the "last" candidate forum, but there's actually one being put on by Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. next Thursday:

http://fortwortholog...-next-thursday/

--

Kara B.

#65 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:09 AM

I'm so there. AG, can you take pic's of the event? I feel that a professional should step in on that. Then Forumers can have an idea of who these people are, perhaps they have been spotted at a local grocery store or something. Not like their own "VOTE 4" T-shirts would give them away or anything. IF not, then I can get someone who can. Actually, HOPEFULLY these candidates have their own "photo-op publicity" people.
www.iheartfw.com

#66 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Is it possible for a candidate on the short end of campaign funds to be elected, is it possible to buy an election?

Mark Pederson $200 $129 $70
Juan Rangel Jr. $11,750 $4,956 $0
Chris Turner $16,740 $5,508 $11,231
Bernie Scheffler $1,613 $975 $138
Jim Beckman $12,600 $15,470 $97,126*
Joel Burns $39,024 $18,083 $16,492
*Includes self loan
Source: Candidates' campaign finance reports on file with the city of Fort Worth

The Star Telegram is backing the Joel Burns camp, I do agree he has the background for the job, but I'm not sure where he stands on all the issues.

Then again can a politician be held to any stance taken while campaigning?

Would a Freshman politician in the position have the deck stacked against?

A good fit for Fort Worth council seat
Star-Telegram - 21 Oct 2007

Wendy Davis will be a tough act to follow.

In her eight-plus years on the Fort Worth City Council, the title company executive and Harvard-educated lawyer has proven to be bright, tenacious, politically courageous and dedicated to strong constituent service. She's well-versed on a maze of issues ranging from economic development to transportation.

She's vacating her council seat to run for the Texas Senate in 2008, and her District 9 constituents will vote on a successor in a six-candidate special election Nov. 6. (A seventh candidate, Victoria Powell, withdrew too late to be removed from the ballot.) Early voting begins Monday.

The candidate who appears best-qualified to succeed Davis is Joel Burns, a Realtor with Helen Painter Group Realtors and a resident of the Ryan Place neighborhood.

Burns, 38, already is well-acquainted with City Hall. He serves on the Zoning Commission, to which he was appointed by Davis. He is a former chairman of the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission.

Of the five candidates interviewed by the Star-Telegram Editorial Board (one failed to show), Burns, on balance, is the most knowledgeable about city issues and takes the wisest positions.

He's a good philosophical fit for District 9 -- a diverse district that includes downtown Fort Worth, areas immediately west of downtown, the Texas Christian University area, the medical district, older central-city neighborhoods such as Park Hill, Berkeley, Mistletoe Heights, Ryan Place and Fairmount, and commercial and residential areas flanking the Hemphill corridor that runs south to Interstate 20. The district is predominantly Hispanic and Anglo, with residents ranging from wealthy to poor.

Burns champions intelligent, sustainable economic development; a more advanced urban transportation system that would include expanded rail transit; continued central-city redevelopment that further revitalizes older neighborhoods; quality affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents; strong code enforcement; and well-equipped, well-paid police and firefighters.

He supports proposed legislation that would let Fort Worth residents decide, through a local option election, whether they want to help fund a passenger rail system with a sales tax increase. He opposes granting collective bargaining rights to firefighters, a proposal that will be on the Nov. 6 ballot.

Burns' positions on these issues mirror those of the Editorial Board, which believes that an expanded rail transit system is needed to help relieve freeway gridlock and that granting collective bargaining rights to firefighters is unnecessary.

The Star-Telegram recommends Joel Burns for the District 9 City Council seat.

#67 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

The Startlegram endorsement doesn't surprise me. He's as close to the status quo as they can get, which is all the S-T cares about.

I am rather disappointed that they chose to endorse the candidate who conducted a push poll and bought an opponent's name as a URL and redirected it to his own site. Read Steve-o and Bret Starr's take on it:

http://thecaravanofd...joel-burns.html

--

Kara B.

#68 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

I was really shocked by the way Burns charactarized the Irving PD's immigration program as a "witchhunt". He made it sound like they are going up and down the streets actively looking for illegal immigrants. This is a disappointing attitude from Joel, because I thought he did a lot better at the last forum. I was a little disappointed in Bernie's reply too, but I suppose you have minor differences with every candidate. The question to the candidates I refer to was something about, what level of activity should the city have in immigration. Most were quick to suggest it is a federal problem. Sounded like an easy dodge to me.

Regarding Steve-o and Brett's letter, I would be surprised if the Startlegram publishes it.

In spite of Juan Rangel's anger about having to sit through a possible extended election cycle, I think there will be a run-off. I don't think Juan will be in it, though. I think this is the election of the new generation (much like the new governor of Louisianna) and I think it will be a runoff between Bernie and Chris or Joel. My $0.02.

#69 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

Tis gettin good. I will try to sleep off this tease of a topic tonight.

Be ready for my comments later today. That's all I am saying.smilewinkgrin.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#70 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

Councilman Silcox brings out a new issue for District 9.

Knowing what happened in to Louis McBee in his council race against Danny Scarf, I would say this is more a partisanship issue than a values issue. Thank god for the leading non-partisan candidate and fellow forumer Bernie Schefler.

Silcox touts 'straight' GOP candidate in nonpartisan race
By ANTHONY SPANGLER and AMAN BATHEJA
aspangler@star-telegram.com; abatheja@star-telegram.com

Fort Worth City Councilman Chuck Silcox urged a group of Republicans on Wednesday to vote for Chris Turner in the nonpartisan District 9 council race because Turner is Republican and straight.

Silcox predicted a runoff in the six-candidate race to replace Wendy Davis between Turner, a Republican political consultant, and Joel Burns, a real estate agent and city zoning commissioner. The election is Nov. 6.

"This is an excellent time to have Republicans get out and support a Republican: Chris Turner," Silcox told a group of about 50 at a Fort Worth Republican Women's Club meeting and a forum for Republican state House District 97 candidates. "We have two people of opposite partisan politics, opposite philosophical persuasions and opposite sexual orientations.

"I didn't tell you which one was homosexual," Silcox said as the crowd laughed. Pointing to Turner, Silcox continued: "He's married to a female, and the other's married to a male. You make your own mind up."

Burns, Turner and bicycle shop owner Bernie Scheffler were among the first to announce their candidacies for the District 9 seat. They were joined by retired businessman Jim Beckman, real estate agent Mark Pederson and Fort Worth school Trustee Juan Rangel.

Read the rest of the story here.

#71 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

Really? In this day and age in FW? How offensive. And the audience laughed? Was it nervous laughter? What an embarrassment.

#72 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Oct 24 2007, 11:50 PM) View Post

"We have two people of opposite partisan politics, opposite philosophical persuasions and opposite sexual orientations.

"I didn't tell you which one was homosexual," Silcox said as the crowd laughed. Pointing to Turner, Silcox continued: "He's married to a female, and the other's married to a male. You make your own mind up."

Wow.

I'm not naive. It doesn't shock me that there are people in the world who believe in inequality. It shocks me that someone with a political background felt safe in verbalizing it.

#73 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

I would be curious if Silcox supported McBee during his race. If he did, then it seems to me that this is more about Joel being a Democrat than gay.

#74 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I really don't care whether someone is Democrat or Republican, green or blue, all I want to know is what they're going to do for District 9.

I'm guessing this is still on for this afternoon...

What: District 9 Candidates Forum
When: October 25, 2007
Where: YWCA
Time: 5:30 p.m.

Please rsvp to Kari@dfwi.org

#75 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Oct 25 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post

I'm guessing this is still on for this afternoon...

Yes, it was on, and we went to it. We're newcomers to FW (moved here from Austin June 1) and weren't sure what to expect.

Fairly sedate, both candidates and audience. Perhaps we were influenced by the postings here, but clearly Bernie is our guy.

In our short time here, we've been struck by this incredible, wonderful resource right in the middle of and throughout the city: the Trinity Trails system. We've also been struck by how little attention and use the trails get. Austin's Town Lake trails were always mobbed -- FW's trails are far nicer, vastly larger, and almost completely ignored. Bernie is the one guy who even mentioned the Trails, thus he'll get our two votes.

Having such an incredible city park/greenspace is much more important than temporary financial benefits from gas drilling. How the city could even consider a threat to the trails and parks is beyond comprehension.

As I said, we're newcomers, so apologies in advance if I don't understand some of the background and dynamics here.

#76 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Oct 25 2007, 03:49 PM) View Post

I would be curious if Silcox supported McBee during his race. If he did, then it seems to me that this is more about Joel being a Democrat than gay.

I was FLOORED when I heard this. HOW BACKWARD does Mr. Silcox make this town look???

My word. And yes, the crowd laughed. Poor poor poor Burns. This is very upsetting. This kind of talk is just ABSURD.

Does Wilcox REFUSE to admit that Homosexuals have and can be REPUBLICAN too???
There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASONING behind this headless statement.

This is totally a sexual orientation comment made by him. And he should pay the price for speaking his WARPED mind out loud. PERIOD!

What does Mr. Chris Turner (A prized political "consultant") DO with this? Damage control people. And what the hell does Silcox have to do with D-9??? I question Turner's judgement in OBVIOUSLY not confering about the political affiliation and his outspoken endorsement "slogan" from Silcox. Especially KNOWING that Silcox has "strong" opinions. He should have distanced himself from him/that LONG LONG AGO.

Man ALIVE! This is HUGE!

It's Burns and Bernie for now IMO.

www.iheartfw.com

#77 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 25 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post

Sure there is. Gay baiting works. Ask Ed Oakley.

Dogwhistle politics is nothing new, especially in this town, and it isn't going anywhere soon, sadly. Hopefully Bernie will find a way to score a plurality after all this mudslinging. If anybody should be the beneficiary, he should be, but he's going to have to overcome the apathy of the Star-Telegram toward him first.

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, UncaMikey!

I didn't make the meeting tonight. Since I have returned from vacation, all I have done is meetings, so I took it easy.

#79 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:01 PM

I figured making the last two candidate forums was good enough so I skipped tonight's to leave a seat open for someone else.

The Silcox comments could definitely help Turner in Southwest Fort Worth where the social conservative stronghold exists. Unfortunately, District 9 is probably more socially progressive, so perhaps a negative for Turner.

Star Telegram had a write-up about tonight's forum and gave Bernie the last word.

#80 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Oct 25 2007, 09:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 25 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post

Sure there is. Gay baiting works. Ask Ed Oakley.

Dogwhistle politics is nothing new, especially in this town, and it isn't going anywhere soon, sadly. Hopefully Bernie will find a way to score a plurality after all this mudslinging. If anybody should be the beneficiary, he should be, but he's going to have to overcome the apathy of the Star-Telegram toward him first.

Nobody benefits from statements like before. Especially coming from a city official/representative.

I will make it clear that the FWST is NOT and most likely will NEVER BE considered the foremost resource for both local and national politics. BLOG On!
www.iheartfw.com

#81 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 26 2007, 02:27 AM) View Post

Nobody benefits from statements like before. Especially coming from a city official/representative.

Unfortunately, safly, some games really are zero-sum. Somebody will benefit from Silcox's slimy behavior, at least in the short term.

#82 mikedsjr

mikedsjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Ecology, Church

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 26 2007, 02:27 AM) View Post

I will make it clear that the FWST is NOT and most likely will NEVER BE considered the foremost resource for both local and national politics. BLOG On!

If statements like this don't benefit him, then I'm shocked that you are so pissed off.

Is it a fad that people in forums blast their local paper when they write stories they don't agree with?

#83 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

I do recall our local paper blasting our local FORUM before. Those are the zero sum games that just happen. As for Silcox's statements, IT'S JUST PLAIN STUPID!

HE then goes on saying that FWST doesn't cover the NEGATIVES of a campaign. (be it in a race or of a candidate???) So NOW we know that Silcox NOT ONLY does not know what to say or think in a public gathering, but pretty much does not know when to shuttie his mouth up!

I will make it clear that homosexuality is not a negative in both government and society, but we have a FW city councilmember who wants to stir the pot and say IT IS. If it was to be an issue (why?) then the FWST would have covered it and put their own journalistic POV or even "integrity" on the line. But I guess Silcox couldn't wait any longer. Sign of character flaws if you ask me.

"WILL HE STEP DOWN ?"should be the headlines for the FWST paper TODAY, regarding Silcox statement(s).

This guy was our Mayor Pro Tem for crying out loud. Both sad and incredible.

Commenting and causing division based on someones sexuality is no different than commenting or causing division based on someones ethnicity or religious affiliations.

Now the Q is , will the FWST decide to TEACH a valuable lesson here? Probably not.
www.iheartfw.com

#84 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(mikedsjr @ Oct 26 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post

If statements like this don't benefit him, then I'm shocked that you are so pissed off.

Those statements won't benefit anyone only because people get pissed off.

#85 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

SAFly, Silcox is no longer the mayor pro-tem. He refused/resigned the position and Kathleen Hicks took his place.

Also, you have to realize that Silcox's statements are a definite positive to the values conservatives. He has not hurt his electability by any means.

#86 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

According to a source he was elected Mayor Pro Tem because he was the elder councilmember, then Hicks was chosen by her reassuring leadership qualities.

I know he ONCE held that position, but the fact that he ONCE was at that position is the point I am trying to make here. And everyone who has allowed him to hold that position HAD TO have known of his character at that time. I don't buy the turning a blind eye to things here.

If the FWST allows this story to cool down or smolder to dust then they have essentially ENABLED this sort of behavior in my POV. I could have given two licks about who Silcox is or was to the city, but after these careless statements IT MATTERS!

I OBVIOUSLY know that he more than likely will not hurt his electability with these kinds of statements. Now does that reflect more on the process, the candidate, the constituency or the affiliated party? As far as I'm concerned it would be a real shame if he is ever allowed back into the city council chambers once again. And it would also boggle the mind.

Perhaps Silcox needs to resign AGAIN and give himself some time to FOR ONCE reflect and think about what he said, who it impacts and relearn some REAL VALUES as an American.
www.iheartfw.com

#87 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

Tonight at 7:00 PM at Rahr - Bernie's having a "Meet the Candidate" event. No donation necessary, admission free. Come meet and talk with Bernie, and some more of us from the shadowy Fort Worth Blogger Cabal.

--

Kara B.

#88 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Oct 26 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

Also, you have to realize that Silcox's statements are a definite positive to the values conservatives. He has not hurt his electability by any means.

I suspect his statement is all about turnout. His remarks are not going to change a single person's mind whatsoever. It is not like Burns has made any sort of secret about his orientation. Those who have a problem with it would not have voted for him anyway. It might be a different matter if the remarks were news that was not otherwise known. In small time elections where only a limited percentage of eligible voters are even aware that an election is being held and an even smaller percentage are paying attention, any little bit that can boost turnout among a certain segment of the electorate has the potential to be enough to push a candidate over the line.

Though I don't live in that district, I have been keeping up with this thread on and off since it started. It is a perfect example of why it is almost impossible for me to muster up enthusiasm for elections. So far, there has been little here and on my very limited look at a few of the links provided that would make me want to vote for any of them.

The remarks by Silcox are a good example of why I have a difficult time being enthusiastic about much of the Republican party. Exactly how does Burns' orientation disqualify him from making the decisions that will come before him in the capacity of a councilman? A rational person shouldn't care less who another person sleeps with so long as it is consensual and one is not forced to watch. I wish there were more people on the Right who think the way I do - that is, pro individualism - i.e., free markets and property rights on economic issues, strong on defense and "libertarian" when it comes to social issues and people's private consensual behavior. "Mind your own business" is a good principle to operate from both in one's personal life and in one's politics.

Why not attack Burns based on his ideas? I suspect that there is probably plenty of available ammunition that one could use for that purpose. But to do so would require that one be up to the task of being able to articulate and defend better ideas. Much easier to rabble rouse and boost turnout.

The basic arguments put forth by Bernie boosters here mostly amount to saying that he is a really neat person. I have no reason to doubt that he is - and maybe Burns and some of the other candidates are neat people too. So what? I have known plenty of very neat people who would be an utter disaster if they ever got their hands on political power.

Then there's the candidate who is forking over close to $100 K of his own money for the race. Why is he doing so? On the surface that strikes me as being very odd. I really wouldn't have a problem with it, I guess, if such a sum of money was only a very small part of his overall assets and something that he could afford to blow. But if that happens to be a significant percentage of his net worth - well, why would a person make such a huge investment in a job that pays little? Perhaps he sees it as a stepping stone to even higher office? If so, then what is his motive for seeking it? Power lust is something one must always keep a watch for with any candidate. Not sure if that is the case here as I know next to nothing about the candidate in question. But it certainly is a red flag that people ought to look into before voting.

It is getting to the point that the only reason to vote for a Republican is to stop the damage that would be done by a rival candidate too far to the Left. And the only valid reason I see these days to vote Democratic is out of revulsion for the candidate on the Republican side of the ballot. I suspect that most elections these days are decided not so much by votes made for the winner but rather by votes made against the loser. If I had to express a preference in the election under discussion, that would pretty much be my standard of making a choice: who will do the least amount of damage.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#89 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Dismuke @ Oct 28 2007, 06:56 PM) View Post

The basic arguments put forth by Bernie boosters here mostly amount to saying that he is a really neat person. I have no reason to doubt that he is - and maybe Burns and some of the other candidates are neat people too. So what? I have known plenty of very neat people who would be an utter disaster if they ever got their hands on political power.

To be fair, this forum hasn't seen a lot of in-depth talk about Bernie. His whole platform's on his site. The reasons I am voting for him are far beyond him being a "neat" guy:

He's for much stricter gas drilling regulations in our neighborhoods.
He supports light rail.
He will push for density and pedestrian-friendly development.
He will push for bicycle-friendly streets.
He is for more historic preservation.
He is for greenspace preservation and promotion.
He is for greater accountability and accessibility in local government.

He's also a neat guy, but that's the icing on the cake.

--

Kara B.

#90 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Besides being a NEAT GUY, Bernie has made his stance loud an clear for TWO elections now and has several proposals to make the local FW economy that much more noticeable, enviable and aware as a positive brand. And the FREE BEER at Rahr's is just the tip o the iceberg. : )

He is categorically aainst Urban Gas Drilling, but he also understands the economic impact it has in the local economy and recognition the city will recieve from far away places. Yet, he is absolute on the premise that with this local boost to our economy comes a responsibility that both the private and public sector owe to the DISTRICT and beyond.

If you own a business in the city of FW, listen to what he has to say.

Sure I think Joel and Bernie are both neat guys. But it seems as though Joel owes this campaign more to Wendy D and that interest, and Bernie has no ties to back himself into a corner in when it comes to city council politics. Just the interest of the D-9 constituents. Am I loud and clear on that presumption?
www.iheartfw.com

#91 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Oct 28 2007, 11:14 PM) View Post

To be fair, this forum hasn't seen a lot of in-depth talk about Bernie. His whole platform's on his site. The reasons I am voting for him are far beyond him being a "neat" guy:

I apologize if my posting implied that I think you or any other supporter of his is necessarily that shallow in terms of their motivation for their support. My comments along those lines were primarily in regard to what has been said in this thread - along with the fact that it is very, very common for political campaigns and their supporters to put forth about what a "nice guy" the candidate is as a reason for voting for him.

I was also somewhat familiar with Bernie's website and his positions on certain matters - but when I was writing my posting, I tried very hard to avoid going into any disagreements I have with the candidates which would could easily be threads in their own right. Plus I try to avoid getting into online debates that I might not have the time to follow up on and see through.

Let's just say that one of the reasons I would not be able to support Bernie, unless all of the other options were so hideously unacceptable, is because it is pretty obvious that I have some rather significant philosophical disagreements with him - his views on gas drilling being just one of them.

I do like the fact that he comes across as being someone who is blunt and specific about where he stands on things - that is a trait that I regard as a virtue. Contrast Bernie's website with the "issues" section on Burns' website. Burns' "positions" are all very vague and mostly non-controversial. Exactly who is NOT in favor of safe neighborhoods, supporting the police and firemen and fixing up old streets, curbs and sidewalks? How many of the "issues" on Burns' website are the other candidates likely to disagree with in any fundamental sense? Burns' webmaster plays it "safe" which is probably pretty smart from a purely political standpoint - why go into details and specifics that have the potential to open up all sorts of cans of worms unless one is forced to? In other words, unlike Bernie's website, Burns' is more like that of a typical professional politician. Bernie comes across as being genuine and having some measure of guts - and, if that is, in fact, true, then one has to admire that.

But the problem is that the more someone convinces me that Bernie is smart, talented and admirable - well, the less likely I would be inclined to support him. Look at it this way, if you are a person who takes ideas seriously - well, would you want somebody who is smart, talented and effective being out there putting forth and implementing ideas that you regard as flawed, misguided, mistaken and/or destructive? If my only choice is between two people whose agenda I regard as being significantly flawed, then my inclination is to root for the person I think will be the least effective at implementing their agenda and who is more likely to discredit themselves and hopefully their agenda along with it in the process.

As for Burns - well, my strong guess is that I would have similar philosophical differences with him as I do with Bernie. He strikes me as being the more "polished" politician of the two. But that, along with his apparent political connections which, in most people's eyes, would be regarded as positives, would be a negative in my mind if his fundamental agenda and philosophy is one with which I disagree. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably favor whichever one I figure would be the least effective council person. The very last thing I want to see in office is someone who is highly effective at implementing an agenda that I disagree with.

With regard to the other candidates - well, I know even less about them. And, in all fairness, I really shouldn't out of hand hold Silcox's boorish comments against Turner as I know nothing about him. He wasn't the one who said those remarks - Silcox was and I have no idea whether Silcox did so with his knowledge or approval or not. If I lived in that district, I would want to know where he stands on such matters in general. But if they were said without his knowledge and approval I would not necessarily expect him to open cans of worms by going out of his way comment on them. I did a google search for his campaign website but was unable to find one. I couldn't care less if people are socially conservative in their outlook and in the way they choose to live their private lives. But I have a huge problem with it when people attempt turn their religious agendas into political agendas. In a free country, it is necessary for religion to be an entirely private and personal matter. Introducing it into the political process is to go down a very dangerous and slippery slope. What I would need to know about Turner is where he stands on matters such as that.

Anyhow, once again, I didn't mean to imply that Bernie supporters here are without substance or reason for their support.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#92 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

One has put it this way.

Bernie is CAPABLE of representing so many, in what has known to be a rather UNCAPABLE City Council for so many.

NEW FACE. NEW ERA.

Bernie is where it begins.

And this distinction among THOSE politicians and OUR representatives will be quite noticeable 5 to 10 years from now. But, it has to start by someone, somewhere and somehow.

Now I do know that there are some people on this FORUM who are great personal friends with many of the candidates mentioned, but I do respect that the democratic process is alive and well here. Let's keep it rollin.
www.iheartfw.com

#93 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

I guess it is time to put my two cents in on this discussion. I said that I would run down the candidates and some of my personal experiences with them. Of course, I'm going to say that I like all of the ones that I know, because I generally like everyone. I will list each candidate by the length of time that I have known them.

Jim Beckman, is a local retired contractor that I have known for almost 20 years. Jim is a bicyclist and one of the early members of the Fort Worth Bicycling Association. I've ridden many rides with both Jim and his wife, Marlene. Marlene served on the Board of Directors of Historic Fort Worth with me for a period of time. Beckman Construction restored the lobby of the Texas & Pacific Railway Terminal. I did not have the chance to work with Jim in an architect/contractor relationship.

Joel Burns is a current Zoning Commission Member and former Chair of the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission. I have known Joel about 6 years. He is also currently serving with me on the Board of Directors of Historic Fort Worth. He appointed me to serve on the Designation Advisory Committee of the Landmarks Commission and our purpose is to recommend buildings for landmark designation consideration. Some of you say he is an insider, and he may be, but he is also well grounded.

Juan Rangel currently is on the Board of Trustees for the Fort Worth Independent School District. Over the past 6 years or so, I have made a few presentations to the School Board regarding some of the work that my firm has done for the FWISD. Mr. Rangel has come to some of the individual project meetings that were held as a part of my work. My interaction with Mr. Rangel has only been in the professional realm.

Bernie Scheffler is owner of Panther City Bicycles and I have only known Bernie since February. As you know, I'm a cyclist and bicycling is a sport and recreation activity that is very dear to my heart. Bernie has shown an interest in historic preservation. I admire Bernie for starting his grass roots council campaign.

I have crossed paths with Chris Turner off and on over the last several years, but I don't know him as well as I do the others. In the few conversations that I have had with him, I did think that he was bright and was knowledgeable on some key issues.

I do not know Mark Pederson.

I'm sure that these brief descriptions and recollections will not influence anyone. I'm not trying to do that. I think that the most important thing here is that everyone who lives in District 9 should cast their vote for the candidate they feel is the best person for the job. For those of you who don't live in District 9, this is still an important election because of the FWISD Bond Election and for other offices and propositions. Voting is a very important civic duty and I would like to encourage everyone to go vote on Tuesday, November 6.

#94 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

A nice, casual profile of the District 9 candidates ran in today's S-T. I don't live in FW, so I don't have a vote in this race. However, I do work in District 9, so I'm very interested in the outcome.

Meet the 6 candidates for the District 9 council seat
By ANTHONY SPANGLER

FORT WORTH -- The six candidates vying to fill the unexpired City Council seat vacated by Wendy Davis agree that the district's diverse neighborhoods, business interests and demographics make it a challenge to represent.

District 9 stretches roughly from downtown south to Interstate 20, bounded largely by Interstate 35W on the east and University Drive on the west.

It includes downtown, businesses on West Seventh Street, the Fort Worth Zoo, Texas Christian University, the medical district and dozens of neighborhoods.

Most of the candidates have sent mailers, called voters, knocked on doors and debated in public forums.

The Star-Telegram interviewed each at his home or workplace to get more insights.

*click link for rest of story*

#95 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:50 AM

A half Kuddo to the FWST. HALF.
www.iheartfw.com

#96 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Tough crowd.

#97 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

The FWST failed to mention that one candidate here DOES have prior campaign experience and has put up a very noble and fair fight for his loyal and supportive voters before. Last elections voting numbers and percentages they have also failed to mention. There was also no clear distinction of who is status quo and who is bringing a FRESH NEW approach to CHall. And with a little investigative reporting, one would have collected some dialogue from the past D-9 Election, where one of the candidates proposed some solutions to the "CRACK HOUSE" Hotel on Hemphill Ave. Thus bringing the issue front and center into the political arena, on the behalf of some very concerned citizens who live and work nearby. Nice plugs on some of the candidates local businesses, but no mention of the high accolades the DISTINCT FEW have received by the local press scene.

And what's with making Burn's the last candidate shown on this piece??? dry.gif

A bit OBVIOUS don't ya think? huh.gif

Whatever happened to alphabetizing the readers options?

That's ok Tony, there probably weren't too many readers anyways. That is until it got posted on here. wink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#98 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

(suspire)

OK. I guess I'll let myself get sucked into this conversation ... My approach wasn't to provide a list of candidates' experience and the usual stuff that appears on the mountain of mailers, which are sent to relatively narrow group of dedicated voters. Instead, I wanted to give readers a sense of each candidates' character or provide readers with some personal insights into each candidate. I don't really think it is my job to advocate for anyone.

The order of profiles was determined by ballot order, which is the order I have presented them in previous articles since the city secretary drew names for the ballot.

And I can only hope I reach as many voters as possible with my coverage, which includes forums like this (which if you noticed got a nod on the Main Street page of the Star-T today!).

Humbly ... your occasionally obedient Star-T reporter,
Tony

#99 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

TONY!,

In case you haven't figured out, I like to pull chains around here. Mainly peoples. smile.gif

Good job, just that there is soooo much more to tell about so many of the candidates. I hope nobody's advocating or editorially being forced to advocate for a certain candidate or political view. And I'm alright with letting a writer or two know how I feel about that scenario.

It's a good casual writeup, but perhaps one can include a story about the significant other in their life. They shape the candidate's makeup as much as anyone voter. I did notice that the story did include certain candidate's spouse or relative which may have shaped them or advised them. But not all of them were mentioned or consistent???

Now that I know from this forum why you chose the order, I'm alright with that. But the readership has no clue because it was not stated.

Sorry you got yourself HOOVERED.
www.iheartfw.com

#100 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

There's only so much room in the paper. The vast majority in District 9 couldn't care less about this race, much less the S-T's readers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users