4 replies to this topic

#1 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

If you've never had Grimaldi's Pizza...you woudn't understand the excitement!! The pizza is legendary in NY. I've only been to the Brooklyn location. I hope the other outlets are as good.

Dallas to get its own branch of famed New York pizzeria Grimaldi's
http://www.pegasusne...york-pizzeria-/

DALLAS — A world-famous pizza is coming to town: Grimaldi's, a small chain whose roots go back to the very beginnings of New York pizza, will open a branch at West Village in mid-November.

If you're talking pizza, it doesn't get much bigger than Grimaldi's, hailed by many to be the best in New York (and therefore, the world). It has an elaborate history dating to 1933, when Patsy Lancieri opened Patsy’s Pizzeria in Harlem. After he died, the name Patsy’s was sold and his nephew Patsy Grimaldi subsequently opened Grimaldi’s. Grimaldi’s is now owned by the Ciolli family, with three branches in New York (Brooklyn, Hoboken, and Long Island), and a recent flurry of outposts in Las Vegas and Phoenix.

The Dallas branch is going into the new West Village extension, where an oven has already been lovingly assembled, brick by brick, one that will fire coal, just as they do in New York -- and locally at Coal Vines. But where Coal Vines is more of a pizza-slash-wine-bar with a wider menu, Grimaldi’s will be all about the pizza.

"We have a very simple menu," says spokesman David Fieramosca. "Three sizes of pizza, calzone, three salads, an antipasto plate, and desserts – cheesecake, tiramisu, and cannoli. And there you have it."

This tight focus on pizza puts it in a league similar to Olivella’s in Snider Plaza and, closer to home, Campania, which is right around the corner at West Village. However, Campania’s pizza is more straight-from-Italy versus the New York personality of Grimaldi’s, which will have classic checkered tablecloths and - yay - a full bar.

#2 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Oct 3 2007, 02:50 PM) View Post

If you've never had Grimaldi's Pizza...you woudn't understand the excitement!! The pizza is legendary in NY. I've only been to the Brooklyn location. I hope the other outlets are as good.

Dallas to get its own branch of famed New York pizzeria Grimaldi's
http://www.pegasusne...york-pizzeria-/

The Dallas branch is going into the new West Village extension, where an oven has already been lovingly assembled, brick by brick, one that will fire coal, just as they do in New York -- and locally at Coal Vines. But where Coal Vines is more of a pizza-slash-wine-bar with a wider menu, Grimaldi’s will be all about the pizza.

That's the key right there...the coal fired oven. This will be great.

I think Rocco's is about as good as it gets in Fort Worth, but places like Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Tottono's in NYC are incredible.

#3 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

I've heard of Lombardi's on the Food Network. Wood Coal fire brick ovens are good, but not original. What kinda wood?

Very simple menu. I was just by Campania's, did not have a bite but the decor was amazing, beautiful mosaic throughout.

After a good hour or so at the golf range, Tom Tom's is my fav eatery over there to chill out at.

Still a Chicago style fan hands down. GINO'S EAST!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#4 Dcurtis

Dcurtis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

Grimaldi's is one of my favorite things about NY. It'll be great to have one locally. I think Campania also has a Southlake location. Ate there for the first time last month good stuff.

Coal Vines is too small and always crowded. My wife calls it pizza for the pretty people. That place is a magnet for hot babes. Always a good place to take out of town clients.

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram confirms the Fresh Market lease and Grimaldi's Pizza.

Just what we need is another pizza place from Dallas

They're not from Dallas.

I think this thread is a better place for this topic than holding it in the West Bend thread.

"Youngalum, see post#2"  :)

Keep Fort Worth folksy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users