5 replies to this topic

#1 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

I lived in Forth Worth in the mid 70's to the mid 80's. I seem to remember a private recreation area possibly owned by General Dynamics or maybe The Western Company or Alcon Labs. I seem to remember that one of my employers rented the site for an office function scheduled to be held there (although I can not remember attending the actual party) and I believe I drove by the location at least one time to locate the venue before I found I was unable to attend. It seems as though there may have been a small train/tracks set up. I am sure this was NOT at the train at Forest Park.

Am I totaly dreaming this, or can anybody confirm this recreation area?

Thanks,

GenE Shockley

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

I would guess that you're talking about the Lockheed Recreational Area (formerly GDRA) that is located on the west side of Bryant Irvin just north of Southwest Blvd.

#3 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Jan 13 2007, 01:29 PM)  

I would guess that you're talking about the Lockheed Recreational Area (formerly GDRA) that is located on the west side of Bryant Irvin just north of Southwest Blvd.

Thank you. Looking at a map, that seems the be the area that I remember. Do you know if they did in fact have a minature train at one time?

Thanks,
GenE

#4 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

They did have a train. And, as far as I know, they still do. Or at least the tracks were still there the last time I was out there.

#5 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Jan 13 2007, 11:24 PM)  

They did have a train. And, as far as I know, they still do. Or at least the tracks were still there the last time I was out there.

Thanks for letting me know. I am supposed to visit my sister in Dallas on 2/3/07 to help her learn how to use her new digital camera (if that aint the blind leading the blind.....). Hopefully, I can convince her to explore some of my old stomping grounds in Fort Worth and we can drive by there.

GenE

#6 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(GenE @ Jan 14 2007, 10:31 AM)  

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Jan 13 2007, 11:24 PM)  

Thanks for letting me know. I am supposed to visit my sister in Dallas on 2/3/07 to help her learn how to use her new digital camera (if that aint the blind leading the blind.....). Hopefully, I can convince her to explore some of my old stomping grounds in Fort Worth and we can drive by there.

GenE

They still do, and the Model Railroad club holds an open house or something similar every year around October.

Oh, forgot they have a web page: http://www.lmra.org/...d/railroad.html
-Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users