Fort Worthology's Content

There have been 97 items by Fort Worthology (Search limited from 22-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#93535 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 18 September 2015 - 08:00 AM in City Issues

If we could only have identified one or two of the "lot of other things"; then we could have a debate about its or their worth to some end.

Yeah, it's not like we have been talking about this for years with people bringing up several examples before.  Clearly, I have to do that in my one single post, which apparently exists in a vacuum.  Because I did not identify anything specifically, it is clear nobody else has, and thus my point is invalid.

#93515 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 17 September 2015 - 08:16 AM in City Issues

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't mind using the Stockyards/cowboys/ranching thing as part of our identity and marketing at all.  It's a thing, after all.  My problem is that the yee-haw let's all be cowboys ridin' and ropin' thing seems to be about 98% of all of our marketing efforts, to the exclusion of a lot of other things we could get out into the world that are just as much, if not more, a part of the city as that one element.

#93467 Skyscraper Ideas (Somewhat on hiatus...)

Posted by Fort Worthology on 14 September 2015 - 03:36 PM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

I think that's a shame.  I love the old, cool rooftop signs (like the Dickie's sign) and I loved the Landmark Tower clock, the blue flame sign, etc.  I knew of both the existing rooftop ban and the upcoming further restrictions and feel a little sad about it.

#93416 Pier One Place

Posted by Fort Worthology on 10 September 2015 - 10:36 AM in Commercial

I was thinking the same thing.  Like that inappropriately designed "apartment community" that slices off access to Victory from one side over in Dallas.

#93391 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 09 September 2015 - 10:36 AM in City Issues

Don't understand what's wrong with this.  Please elaborate.

I can't say anything is objectively "wrong" with it.  It's my opinion that it's cheesy, goofy, and painfully uncool in its attempt at being cool, like seeing your parents trying to wear skinny jeans and infinity scarves.

#93386 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 09 September 2015 - 08:34 AM in City Issues

Speaking of "the image of Fort Worth" - I remember seeing this billboard in Austin when I was last down there to play a show.  Now, I can only speak for myself, but I find this utterly cringe-inducing.

11226746_1614051918851846_889368266_n.jp

#93368 Southside developments

Posted by Fort Worthology on 07 September 2015 - 08:54 PM in Urban Design and Planning

The remainder of that lot other than the chicken place was going to be a mental health facility of some sort at one point in the 2000s, but it never happened.  It's just been vacant since then.

And I too would be thrilled to see the strip mall across Rosedale go away.  It's a terribly inappropriate design for the area now.

#93354 West 7th Development

Posted by Fort Worthology on 07 September 2015 - 11:12 AM in Commercial

Chimera's also got good vegan options for folks like me.  And it's a Fort Worth local biz.  So yeah, I am 100% on board with you on that.

#93325 Shipping & Receiving's Birthday Bash

Posted by Fort Worthology on 04 September 2015 - 10:10 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Something of a milestone for South Main Village in the Near Southside - one of the original pioneering businesses in the neighborhood, Shipping & Receiving, is celebrating its 2nd birthday this weekend.  Tonight and tomorrow is the official birthday celebration, a big showcase of local bands. Sunday they've got another major show - of Montreal, the indie-famed psych group, is coming to town.  

I'll be performing Saturday at 3:00 PM with my noise pop band, Missing Sibling, so come say hi.

#93269 Berry Theater

Posted by Fort Worthology on 01 September 2015 - 08:03 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Yeah, I think the red box is just very vague/approximate.  Looking at the site plan, the building seems to match up with the strip mall, as do the curb cuts and such.  And the site plan ends at the back of the strip mall, beyond which is a vacant lot and then the Berry.

#93266 Berry Theater

Posted by Fort Worthology on 01 September 2015 - 07:11 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Is this not just a remodeling of the existing gas station/strip mall building at the corner, next to the theater?  It doesn't appear from the site plan in that image that the theater is involved in any way.

#93261 Cowtown USA???

Posted by Fort Worthology on 31 August 2015 - 10:07 PM in Miscellaneous

I will say that all the people I know using "Funkytown" are 20something hipsters.

#93245 Cowtown USA???

Posted by Fort Worthology on 31 August 2015 - 03:39 PM in Miscellaneous

I've always thought "Funkytown" is *very* contrived, and besides, the actual, famous song of the same name was written in Minneapolis about New York.

#93176 Cowtown USA???

Posted by Fort Worthology on 28 August 2015 - 08:43 AM in Miscellaneous

Eleven years.

In 11 years, Fort Worth will probably have a population in excess of one million; a significantly larger downtown area; and a brand-new Will Rogers Coliseum that can host all the grandiose rodeo and other sports activities to boot.  And by then no one will remember the world championship events at the AA Center in Dallas.

I was referring more to a thread that's been dead 11 years being resurrected because, reasons, I guess.

#93171 Cowtown USA???

Posted by Fort Worthology on 28 August 2015 - 06:36 AM in Miscellaneous

Eleven years.

#93087 Hemphill/Lamar/Taylor Connector project ?

Posted by Fort Worthology on 25 August 2015 - 10:04 AM in Transportation

The rendering you posted earlier this year in this thread:

1375812112.jpg

That's the one. The new rendering shows it shorter, not extending under the bridges, and also not suspended from them - instead, it's just mounted on poles in the median.

#93081 Hemphill/Lamar/Taylor Connector project ?

Posted by Fort Worthology on 25 August 2015 - 09:07 AM in Transportation

It had been my impression that the piece was to run under the bridge. That appears to no longer be the case.  Compared to the earlier renderings, it looks like it's been pretty radically scaled down.

#93067 New medical center development for South Main

Posted by Fort Worthology on 24 August 2015 - 02:27 PM in Commercial

I don't think that's what Urb meant.  Buildings are not only pedestrian-friendly for their users - they are for their surroundings as well.  You can design any sort of hospital/medical building you might need and make it work with the neighborhood instead of being a fortress that doesn't engage the streets.

#93015 New medical center development for South Main

Posted by Fort Worthology on 21 August 2015 - 09:13 AM in Commercial

I honestly find this more exciting than the original Victory hospital.  This seems like a nice "get" for the Southside.

#92994 Frisco 35 story Luxury hotel tower headed to $1.6 billion project

Posted by Fort Worthology on 20 August 2015 - 10:21 AM in Surrounding Cities

I'm a bit skeptical, too, whether this 35-story building will actually be built.  Reminds me of all the initial speculation about the 58-story tower that was supposed to be built in Midland. 

Or a 60-story building in downtown Fort Worth... http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=1205

#92989 Bike Highway

Posted by Fort Worthology on 20 August 2015 - 08:14 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

I'd be very interested to learn more - may have to contact a few people.  Exciting to hear!  The lack of logical links between the trail and the bike lanes has always bugged me - I did a post on the Weekly not long ago that talked in part about this exact item, in fact (how the east/west bike lanes on 10th & Texas don't connect to the trail while the trail has a signalized crossing to 5th street where there are no bike lanes).

#92988 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by Fort Worthology on 20 August 2015 - 08:01 AM in Commercial

My fellow Weekly writer Eric has a story on the Stockyards task force in the paper:  http://www.fwweekly....ckyards-shorty/

#92926 Mudsmith opening at So7

Posted by Fort Worthology on 16 August 2015 - 10:14 AM in Arts and Entertainment

I like the Mudsmith on Lowest Greenville a lot.  (Not gonna lie, I wish they were opening a FW location on South Main, though...)

The Dallas location uses Avoca coffee, so I think Avoca benefits no matter which one you visit.

#92897 Dallas: Rolex's new 7-story building

Posted by Fort Worthology on 14 August 2015 - 09:36 AM in Surrounding Cities

Didn't the CNB tower also change design between the construction of the initial four floors and the completion of the tower?  I remember reading somewhere that the metal tower was a design change to lighten the building to accommodate the weight of the clock.

Re: the Rolex building...it's alright.  I'm not a huge fan of twisty towers, but it seems inoffensive enough at that height.  I'd be curious to see what the ground floor looks like.  The rendering makes it appear to sit behind a bunch of landscaping at street level.

#92776 Westin in the works for Cultural District

Posted by Fort Worthology on 05 August 2015 - 10:04 AM in Commercial

Yeah, I'm just paranoid.