RD Milhollin's Content

There have been 57 items by RD Milhollin (Search limited from 15-December 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#107886 Confederate Memorials and Names

Posted by RD Milhollin on Today, 12:06 AM in Politics

"Pappy" O'Daniel Park? Ornette Coleman Park? Fess Parker Park? Alan Bean Park?

Che Guevara Park

Durn, I didn't know he was from Fort Worth!

#107884 TCU's massive campus transformation continues

Posted by RD Milhollin on Yesterday, 11:42 PM in Public & Institutional

And now a plan to build over some parking.  TCU is planning a new facility for the music school that includes a concert hall:

http://www.star-tele...e189471584.html

This new facility could really add to the preliminary recital offerings for the Cleburne Competition, as well as other smaller ensemble performances. It would be great if TCU could establish or partner with another entity to sponsor a specialized ensemble like the Orchestra of New Spain over in Dallas. 

#107883 What's happening with the realignment of Harley, demo of the Health Dept....

Posted by RD Milhollin on Yesterday, 11:38 PM in Public & Institutional

Connecting the extension to Foch takes away the direct connection to Lancaster and dumps all of the traffic into a congested area. I know part of the point of it is to connect with the W. 7th neighborhood, but another benefit is to provide a bypass of the Lancaster-University neighborhood.

Maybe a way to mitigate the potential problems discussed above would be to have Trail Drive split into a north-bound Foch Street and a south-bound Currie Street. These streets could be narrower allowing better pedestrian interface and the periodic traffic crunches could be spread out a little better on two smaller streets rather than one big one. 

#107882 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by RD Milhollin on Yesterday, 11:24 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I get a little sick every time I see the neglect the present owners have perpetuated on this building.

#107881 Awesome mid-mod interior at 9th & Houston

Posted by RD Milhollin on Yesterday, 11:22 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Nothing against renovating this small historical building, but I'd rather see a modern multi-story hotel at this location, which is what is planned.

I would rather see the plans on paper brought to fruition... Lots of parking lots to build on without tearing down perfectly functional and attractive buildings. The use pictured would go great with a convention center across the street.

#107746 Western Center Tower III

Posted by RD Milhollin on 10 December 2017 - 11:53 PM in Commercial

... The top floor will contain a residence.

Am I only one that thinks having a residence on the top floor strange, particular in this locale?

I don't know... Why strange?

#107571 DFW Airport Projects

Posted by RD Milhollin on 29 November 2017 - 12:52 AM in Transportation

Heard on the local news this morning that there's nothing wrong with the current runway, but they want to prevent issues from developing in the future.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

DFW Airport generates a lot of money to waste.

#107570 8-4-1 Rail Plan (Designs)

Posted by RD Milhollin on 29 November 2017 - 12:50 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

nNyFiaa.jpg

NOW is the time for Tarrant County transit planners (hello, hello, anyone there?...) to begin land acquisition for exactly what you laid out. Following Jacksboro Highway SH-199 is going to require a lot of modifications to the right of way, Suggest looking at the massive ROWS under the multiple power lines paralleling Boat Club Road once past Loop I-820 for future "phase IV" extension north into the sure near-term gridlock of suburb-sprawl expansion.

#107569 downtown of yesteryear

Posted by RD Milhollin on 29 November 2017 - 12:18 AM in Local History

Maybe the absentee owners of the T&P Warehouse could be compelled to at least illuminate the facade of the building at night in order to help the surrounding area "light up at night". Even that might help some...

#107452 FW Chamber: Promote GE move to FW

Posted by RD Milhollin on 23 November 2017 - 12:17 AM in City Issues

Nice summative article from the S-T about the uncertain future facing the GE Locomotive Plant in Alliance Fort Worth:

http://www.star-tele...e185786343.html

#107451 What's happening with the realignment of Harley, demo of the Health Dept....

Posted by RD Milhollin on 22 November 2017 - 11:49 PM in Public & Institutional

For all the parking at that location there should be some sort of rainwater retention pond to keep all the oil and grease that collects on the surface from washing off into the river, and to absorb some of the runoff flow during heavy rain events. I know there has been parking there a long time, that retention pond should have been there years ago.

#107450 Large plot off University & Jacksboro Hwy

Posted by RD Milhollin on 22 November 2017 - 11:35 PM in Commercial

Wow, if someone could consolidate all that property in the triangle bounded by Jacksboro Highway, University Dr. and the West Fork there would be some serious potential for large scale development; either a big project like a corporate campus or a real urban neighborhood. Of course it could also be Big-Box anchored limited-life-span retail strip centers and apartments or a gated community... I don't know if property values in the inner city have reached the point where substantial urbanism is realistically being considered by the developers active in this region.

#107449 New apartment project on Rock Island

Posted by RD Milhollin on 22 November 2017 - 11:25 PM in Residential

There really needs to be some kind of effort initiated to consolidate all the various train tracks there into one well-designed, secured, depressed, and possibly even roofed-over corridor as is done in many parts of the world. 

#107330 New Title Sponsor for Colonial

Posted by RD Milhollin on 15 November 2017 - 11:44 PM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

I would be interested in knowing exactly what the title sponsor has to commit to... Not that I am interested in applying for the position  :laugh:

#107159 Pecan Square - Northlake

Posted by RD Milhollin on 07 November 2017 - 09:05 PM in Residential

Didn't read anything in the announcement that sounded like real mixed use... misuse of an overused development term?

#106902 Tarleton State University plans 80-acre campus in Far SW FW

Posted by RD Milhollin on 26 October 2017 - 10:56 PM in Public & Institutional

The labels of Fort Worth and Dallas are placed incorrectly on the first two maps. Fort Worth and Dallas are placed over Denton and McKinney. :unsure:

Looks like a nice campus, but I don't like the rural location or lack of transit. Guess they can't help that.

Rural location or lack of transit; Stephenville or suburban Fort Worth?

#106901 West 7th Development

Posted by RD Milhollin on 26 October 2017 - 10:53 PM in Commercial

A Way With Words; NPR KERA 90.1 FM early afternoons weekends. Recommend.

#106805 I-30 West Freeway reconstruction with reversible managed lanes

Posted by RD Milhollin on 21 October 2017 - 12:52 PM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

Any new major highway rebuild projects in urban and adjacent areas should be mandated to include right of way for future passenger rail transit tracks and stations. If that space could be used for bus rapid transit (BRT) now that would be a step in the right direction.

#106780 Fort Worth Law School to get major upgrade

Posted by RD Milhollin on 19 October 2017 - 11:11 PM in Public & Institutional

This A&M talk all sounds very piecemeal and patchwork. I still believe that the powers that be should find a way to swap out the properties involved and have the Law School move into the TCC "Medical Campus" that abuts the courthouse and the Legal/Justice complex, build the TCC medical/nursing facility adjoining the soon-to-be-revamped and expanded County Hospital (this would have been a great location for the UNT/TCU Joint Allopathic Medicine School as well), and find a commercial buyer of the law school who would either expand it upward  for mixed use or some other use that complements or adds to the capacity of the Convention/Transportation hub. 

#106687 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by RD Milhollin on 17 October 2017 - 09:55 PM in Commercial

RD, wouldn't building a replica of something that was demolished long ago, contribute to the "Disneyland" effect that most of the people involved in saving the Stockyards (including the Murrins) have tried to keep from happening?

No I don't think so. Disneyland is make-believe built on green fields; The building I referenced was once there, destroyed in a fire I believe, and along with the bookend Swift building across the street was an integral part of the initial design of the stockyards complex.

#106652 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by RD Milhollin on 16 October 2017 - 11:42 PM in Urban Design and Planning

Dallas to consider taking out I-345 and rejoining Downtown to Deep Ellum:

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-451191403.html

#106636 Street Grid: The Urban Footprint

Posted by RD Milhollin on 15 October 2017 - 03:43 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I found a short article that touches on a few areas of interest that have been presented several times on this forum. The author seems to do a good job of summarizing and illustrating several aspects of an urban street grid system. These principles could be applied to a few different areas in Fort Worth, including opening up the street grid in some parts of Southside, redeveloping stagnant Malls such as Ridgmar, and could have been used to make the new Trinity / Chisholm developments more interesting and less suburban/sprawl-y.

Optimizing the Street Grid:

A breakdown of the block layouts in different cities, and how they affect the pedestrian experience.

by Andrew Alexander Price
August 24, 2017

https://marketurbanismreport.com/optimizing-street-grid/

#106523 Western Hills

Posted by RD Milhollin on 10 October 2017 - 11:09 PM in Residential

S-T Editorial addressing the issues surrounding Knights Inn on Las Vegas Trail; a list of previous S-T articles about this area is attached to it:

http://www.star-tele...e178148666.html

#106522 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by RD Milhollin on 10 October 2017 - 11:02 PM in Commercial

The hotel building pictured should be set back and a replica of the historic Armour Office Building, similar to the Swift Office Building, should be placed there. It could house reception, food service, a lounge, etc. with a connection to the hotel proper behind it.

#106516 The Monarch

Posted by RD Milhollin on 10 October 2017 - 05:55 PM in Residential

I don't get the flying-flat Gables; decoration only? There doesn't seem to be sun shade or rain shelter advantage with this. It would seem to be a target for wind damage whereas a more traditional design wouldn't. It isn't that I don't like it, it is sort of nicely weird I suppose, but it appears to be structure with no function.