JBB's Content

There have been 757 items by JBB (Search limited from 18-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#108382 Linwood Park - New Apartment Complex

Posted by JBB on Today, 12:45 PM in Residential

2d2fb233-4f90-41e3-bdde-ee440a954da2.jpg

#108371 Economic Development Plan

Posted by JBB on Today, 09:58 AM in City Issues

Given Tim Cook's political leanings, I would be pretty surprised if the Apple campus ended up in Texas.

#108369 Metallica at the FWCC in 97

Posted by JBB on Today, 09:56 AM in Arts and Entertainment

The new arena should be able to get into the concert game given that a lot of touring acts seem to be hitting up smaller arenas like the Allen Events Center, the Ford Center in Frisco, and Toyota Music Factory.

#108368 The Water Gardens

Posted by JBB on Today, 09:50 AM in Fort Worth Architecture

Awesome!  Despite how cold it's been, you're a braver man than me.

#108361 Metallica at the FWCC in 97

Posted by JBB on Yesterday, 09:57 PM in Arts and Entertainment

I'm not sure the city has done much to market it as a concert venue in recent years and I would imagine they have trouble competing with newer facilities like the AAC, Verizon, and Winstar.  I saw Garth Brooks there in 1998 and it definitely is great as far as sight lines and acoustics go, but it's the amenities that really sink it - seating and restrooms that were obsolete 20 years and haven't been updated since, poor food/beverage facilities, and a single narrow concourse that only surrounds 2/3 of the building to serve the entire seating bowl.  The concourse is probably the worst feature.  My daughter had a cheer competition there last year that only used about half of the seats and the concourse was wall-to-wall people during breaks.  It was much worse for a sold out circus performance we saw a few years ago. 

#108354 Modern Streetcar Dead

Posted by JBB on Yesterday, 04:33 PM in Transportation

The city council sandbagged the entire deal because downtown interests didn't want it.  It had nothing to do with any of ^that^.

#108337 Linwood Park - New Apartment Complex

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 05:17 PM in Residential

Not sure if this is the best topic, but I saw a great video on Facebook of the newly dedicated aircraft sculpture in the park being blown around in yesterday afternoon's gusty winds.  I would link to it if it wasn't posted in a private group.

#108336 Economic Development Plan

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 05:07 PM in City Issues

Arlington has nice development happening in the downtown/UTA area, but I agree that there's not a lot for FW to glean from that.

Looking to Uber/Lyft/rideshare as a mass transit alternative is silly.  I look at it as a convenience for people that would still be in a car if they didn't use the service.  The best benefit it provides is a cheap alternative for people that are drinking and shouldn't be driving.  It doesn't provide the affordable alternative that mass transit should and can provide.  It can be affordable for short trips, but the cost escalates quickly as the distance increases.  (I say this after driving for Uber in the past.)

#108335 Urban legends

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 04:50 PM in Local History

It's interesting to look at the old circle on Historic Aerials.  The Weatherford Circle disappears and the Benbrook Circle appears sometime between 1956 and 1963 updates.  It would appear that the circle itself was removed, the main lanes of 80 and Alta Mere were extended through the middle of the circle, and the approaches were kept as protected right turn lanes with massive grass islands separating the turn lanes from the main lanes.  This kept the size of the intersection in tact.  At some point between the 1979 and 1990 updates, the huge islands were drastically reduced in size and the turn lanes were moved in closer to the main lanes.

#108331 Aerial rodeo as future FW attraction - Disney's aerial marionettes

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 02:42 PM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

That's really cool.  Interestingly enough, the use by Disney mentioned in the original post was pretty limited.  They used them in a limited-time nightly holiday show at Disney Springs (Disney owned shopping and entertainment area adjacent to the Orlando parks) from November 2016 to January 2017 and they haven't been seen since.

#108325 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 10:36 AM in Commercial

I was admiring the Frost Tower from my drive in on I-30 from the east this morning.  I'm sure the cloud cover was contributing to it, but it has an interesting look from that angle: very wide, the glass almost looks black, and the shading makes the corners disappear.   It looks more like it covers the full block from that angle.  Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to get a pic while I'm driving.

#108323 Future downtown skyline photo?

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 10:32 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

Those other vantage points are really great, but the advantage that shot from the west side has is that it's an elevated view with very little interference that can be taken from a couple of locations.  I would be interested in seeing what the view is like from the garage at Dickie's arena.

#108322 The Sad State of Heritage Park

Posted by JBB on 16 January 2018 - 10:26 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

It has the staircases that are in pretty bad shape.  Didn't it have a statue pointing toward N. Main at one point?  Charles Tandy, maybe?  I have trouble getting bent out of shape losing that space given its current condition.  It's just another sad example of a nice space being neglected for years.  Not all that dissimilar to what happened to Heritage Park.

#108288 Economic Development Plan

Posted by JBB on 13 January 2018 - 04:23 PM in City Issues

Good stuff.  Bud definitely represents the middle ground between "there's nothing wrong" and "the sky is falling".

#108284 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by JBB on 13 January 2018 - 09:01 AM in Public & Institutional

The Dallas WNBA team already plays at College Park in Arlington.

#108259 Uber Elevate Conference in Dallas...flying cars are coming

Posted by JBB on 10 January 2018 - 04:28 PM in Surrounding Cities

The air taxi plan reminds me of all of the talk a couple of years ago about Amazon testing drone delivery.  Lots of fun, but probably not practical at this point.

#108258 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by JBB on 10 January 2018 - 04:25 PM in Public & Institutional

I would imagine that basketball and hockey present issues because of season overlap with the Stock Show.  The last hockey team to call FW home was shown the door in lieu of a basketball team that drew minimal attendance to the point that they bailed out of the convention center to play in a high school gym.  The hockey team ended up at NYTEX in North Richland Hills.  (Not to veer too far off, but the hockey team playing there now drew a monster crowd last Friday night.  I was at an event down the street that let out at the same time and the traffic was a mess getting out.  Cars parked in surrounding lots and lining the surrounding streets.)

There may be chances for minor league teams going forward, but I don't blame them for focusing on getting the lead tenant (rodeo) settled in first and on pushing other events like what they already have scheduled.  It looks like the arena will be great for concerts and should provide some healthy competition for Verizon, Winstar, and Toyota Music Factory.

#108254 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition

Posted by JBB on 10 January 2018 - 01:00 PM in Arts and Entertainment

It's the junior competition.  The flagship competition in 2021 is still planned for Bass Hall.  Still disappointing nonetheless.

#108199 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 02:38 PM in Commercial

I'll admit I haven't been through Crockett Row recently or real often in general.  I drove through Museum Place last night and I do every couple of weeks and I can't say that I see a lot of empty retail space.  Maybe one or two spaces in the building with Mr. Gatti's and World of Beer.  Regardless, my point was that I don't see a lot of room for the word "greed" in a discussion about a subject where supply and demand are in play.  None of these real estate developers are non-profit and, if they're trying to charge above market, then the market will flesh that out. 

#108197 Tarrant Transit Alliance

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 02:17 PM in Transportation

I agree that the name is confusing and the ultimate goal is a little murky (as they often are with these types of organizations, nothing wrong with that).  Their original push that brought them into being was to lobby the council to dedicate a portion of the planned property tax cut to The T for expanded bus service.  As it stands, I would assume they're encouraging people to lobby the FW city council because that is the only available option for local funding.

#108195 River District news

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 01:09 PM in Commercial

I had lunch at Salsa Limon today and the patio turned out really nice.  Interior is exactly the same, maybe just some paint and sprucing up.

On my way out, I went back west and noticed that what I thought was the Crystal Springs site no longer has a construction fence around it.  I could have sworn one was there when I went through there the week of Thanksgiving.  Anyone heard anything?

#108193 Tarrant Transit Alliance

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 10:33 AM in Transportation

the core of our transit needs are, in my mind, inside loop 820.

Fort Worth's "annex and sprawl" growth model of the past 25+ years simple is not sustainable nor a model in which quality mass transit can thrive. We need greater densities, greater walkabilities, greater dispersion of higher paying jobs as well.

I can't like both of these statements enough. The existing commuter rail line and the one coming on line later this year are a great foundation, but I'm ready to see what they can do in the core, whether it's light rail, street cars, or better bus service. I worry that they'll be seduced by the idea of a northern commuter line to the Alliance area. That would be a colossal mistake.

#108192 Central Library

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 09:45 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I've only been in the Central Library a few times and I remember entering at ground level and taking the escalator to the basement.

Growing up, we lived in a suburb and we used to go the branch libraries on the south side like the one behind Seminary South and the one on Trail Lake.  A big treat was to go to the new fancy regional library on Hulen.  At some point, the Fort Worth libraries stopped allowing non-residents to get library cards, so we quit going.

Here's a tiny photo of the Central Library from the city's website:

newcen.gif

#108191 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 09:30 AM in Commercial

8 years is a really good run, especially for that area.  Imagine how many other restaurants and bars have come and gone in the last 8 years.

If "greedy" owners are really charging above market rent, won't the market sort that out?  And is that really happening since these spaces in the 7th Street area don't sit empty for very long?

#108190 Fort Worth Crime

Posted by JBB on 05 January 2018 - 09:24 AM in City Issues

Story referenced in WFAA Tweet:

http://www.wfaa.com/...years/504251901