JBB's Content

There have been 739 items by JBB (Search limited from 22-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#106814 The Image of Fort Worth

Posted by JBB on Today, 06:55 PM in City Issues

That's a nice view.  Is that from one of the Left Bank buildings ir a drone shot?  That was great for TCU to get a prime time slot on a network last night, especially when game 7 of the ALCS was relegated to one of the Fox cable channels.

#106762 Fort Worth Moves into 16th Place

Posted by JBB on 19 October 2017 - 03:44 PM in City Issues

Wow! That's great.

#106761 New Title Sponsor for Colonial

Posted by JBB on 19 October 2017 - 03:42 PM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

One article I read earlier today implied that the sponsorship was set up through the PGA. I'm not sure what role that would play in local companies sponsoring local tournaments or how that would fit with the PGA's sponsorship agreement with United Airlines.

Purely an anecdotal observation, but I heard rumblings a couple of years ago that Toyota was reluctant to jump into sponsorships and partnerships in this area prior to their actual move here (Toyota Stadium naming happened a year before the HQ announcement). I know of at least one local partnership that hasn't been announced yet that was pushed back after the initial discussions a couple of years ago.

I feel like Colonial has little to worry about as long as a sponsor lines up. It's the oldest tournament on the tour still played on its original course. That has to count for something. It will be interesting to see what the Nelson's upcoming move does to that tournament and how moving a major into May changes the schedule.

#106735 Best Mexican Food in Fort Worth?

Posted by JBB on 19 October 2017 - 07:41 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Latin food versus Mexican or Tex Mex seems to be a trend that's catching on.  Gloria's comes to mind as kind of a trend setter with this type of cuisine (I'm not a fan, but I know it's popular).  There's a relatively new restaurant in Colleyville called Tio Carlos that's a spinoff of an Irving restaurant by the same name.  They have a huge menu that features Tex Mex and a wide variety of more Latin focused items.  We really like it, but I don't know how they're surviving.  Dinner and Sunday lunch usually has a pretty thin crowd.

#106729 Reit plans to demolish Westchester Tower and redevelop as mixed use

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 10:32 PM in Commercial

I know they had to move. I didn't think they would stay in business.

#106727 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 10:11 PM in Commercial

You can see the height difference in the pic above. It's especially noticeable when you compare the balconies on the right side.

#106725 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 09:44 PM in Commercial

The Omni isn't the best building to use as a reference. The floor to ceiling height of the condos above the hotel portion of the building is significantly more than the lower floors:

omni-const-sw.jpg

#106719 Reit plans to demolish Westchester Tower and redevelop as mixed use

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM in Commercial

I wonder if they'll survive without the regular hospital lunch business.  I really didn't think they would move.

#106714 Arlington, Texas

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 04:09 PM in Surrounding Cities

I think there was a post about this one somewhere around here when it was announced earlier this year. They just opened their first location in this area in Frisco, but I believe it's the non-full service inn and suites concept.

I believe Aloft is set to open on Lamar before the end of the year.

#106713 Best Mexican Food in Fort Worth?

Posted by JBB on 18 October 2017 - 04:00 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Uncle Julio's is very good Tex Mex. For chain Tex Mex, I'm also a fan of La Hacienda Ranch in Grapevine.

I'll have to try Dos Molinas sometime. For a good balance of authentic and Tex Mex, I like Las Fuentes at Seminary and McCart.

#106684 County hospital bond election

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 08:51 PM in Public & Institutional

The county put off a hospital district bond election for $800 million in 2016. One year later, the needs are becoming more dire and the price tag is over $1 billion.

http://www.star-tele...e179421536.html

#106683 TEX Rail project

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 08:36 PM in Transportation

Thanks for the update. I'll be over that way next Monday. I'll try to drive by and see if I can see it. I'm off work in the 6th so I'll try to go to the open house.

#106682 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 08:34 PM in Urban Design and Planning

366 is Woodall Rogers. I had never heard it referred to as 345 before the discussion of removing it came up.

#106677 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 07:36 PM in Urban Design and Planning

Of course it is and I never implied otherwise. I was just pointing out that the hyperbolic responses were similar.

#106675 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 07:00 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I get the traffic concerns, but if I've learned anything over the years, it's that freeway demand and traffic pattern study is counter-intuitive.  I'm willing to wait and see what the studies tell the planners and I wouldn't be surprised if it shows that other roadways will absorb the traffic.  Just like more lanes doesn't always equal less traffic congestion, removing a spur freeway may not result in Armageddon.  I'm sure that the same sky-is-falling arguments were used to try to justify boxing in the north and west sides of downtown Fort Worth with a freeway and not moving the I-30 overhead 100 yards to the south.

#106673 Proposed Hilton Garden Inn next to Mt. Gilead Church downtown

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 06:13 PM in Commercial

I like the renderings of the front of the building.  If the back of the building facing Mt. Gilead hasn't changed, I'm not crazy about that part of the design.  For the most part, I can live with it if it means ridding that side of downtown of a surface lot.  There's far worse buildings downtown and they're not all going to be the Blackstone.

#106672 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 06:04 PM in Urban Design and Planning

The name or the freeway itself?

This thread has offered some pretty spirited discussion over the years.  A few things have changed since the last post more than 3 years ago: the horseshoe interchange rebuild is nearing completion, the toll road on the Trinity that the city said for years had to be complete in order for the horseshoe project to happen never happened and is deader than dead and the area bordering the Trinity to the west of downtown is booming with development, LBJ on the north side was rebuilt, and 183 from Stemmons into Irving is being rebuilt.  I'm not sure the discussion and study would even be taking place if the overhead wasn't in such poor structural shape or if money was readily available to replace it.  The comment following the NBC5 story from the guy saying he likes the freeway because it isolates Deep Ellum and Old East Dallas from Downtown is...interesting. 

I'm interested in seeing what the study shows about traffic flow.  This definitely isn't something that will happen overnight.

#106667 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 01:24 PM in Commercial

That's kind of what I was getting at. Sounds like they have it figured out.

#106662 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 11:01 AM in Commercial

Just my very uneducated guess, but I would say "no" since the garage and Kona are both part of Crockett Row.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but if they just went with straight paid parking in all of those garages and quit trying to tie it to certain businesses or to a validation, everyone would probably come out ahead.

#106659 West 7th Development

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 10:41 AM in Commercial

W7th became Crockett Row, right? Everything north of Crockett/south of 7th and everything south of Crockett/north of Morton between Foch and University with the exception of Steel City, Tortaco, Fred's, and that quarter block or so on the NW corner of Foch and Morton.

#106657 TEX Rail project

Posted by JBB on 17 October 2017 - 10:31 AM in Transportation

There's a lot of room for a colorful, more prominent logo in that big gray area near the cab.

#106603 "Left Bank"

Posted by JBB on 13 October 2017 - 03:07 PM in Commercial

I kind of like that, but I'm confused. Which building is 171 feet?

#106590 Flip or Flop Fort Worth

Posted by JBB on 13 October 2017 - 10:26 AM in Arts and Entertainment

I thought the same thing and I left that last point out of my post. I didn't mean to belittle the point of it being great exposure regardless of the nuances of reality television. If the preview shots are any indication, we'll see plenty of b-roll of the daily cattle drive, people eating mediocre BBQ at Angelo's, and sweeping panoramas of AT&T Stadium and I'm good with that if it helps people remember the show was filmed in Fort Worth.

#106589 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by JBB on 13 October 2017 - 10:20 AM in City Issues

Those are interesting articles. Thanks for sharing.

Denver's approach emphasizing factors other than incentives and San Antonio saying they're not interested in offering incentives made me wonder if a private partner could emerge that would offer to front the costs of developing HQ2 under some sort of lease/buy back arrangement. There's probably some factors of that type of arrangement where it might be more appealing than public incentives.

I know it's common with any large corporation, but I've heard rumblings that Amazon is not the greatest employer at the distribution/fulfillment center level. They seem to regularly hire on a temp-to-full time arrangement with very few people making the jump to full time.

#106582 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by JBB on 13 October 2017 - 06:25 AM in Public & Institutional

I believe he's referring to the underlying concrete support structure for the seating bowl and concourses below the roofline. That's a significant milestone, but still a long way from topping out the arena and closing it in.