76107's Content

There have been 20 items by 76107 (Search limited from 13-December 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#51253 Whats going on with the old building at College and Morphy?

Posted by 76107 on 15 October 2008 - 10:22 PM in Commercial

For 2 million bucks I can get fifteen thousand feet downtown with parking for fifty cars. Renovated newer building, easy freeway access, nicely appointed, and there's a tenant. What in the heck is this guy smoking? Will he give me some? Where are people getting some of these valuations? It sure as heck isn't an income based appraisal, I can tell you that.

#51045 Near Southside: Comerica Bank, 8th Ave. & Magnolia

Posted by 76107 on 10 October 2008 - 11:38 AM in Commercial

Thank heavens! That site really needed to be a branch bank! In the future, maybe someone, someone with vision beyond mine, will find a place to put in a Walgreens. Dare I dream someday of a Sonic too? The possibilities are limitless. Eventually maybe we can tear down broad swaths of West Magnolia and put in a Jiffy-Lube, PetSmart, Pier One, and maybe even a Vietnamese day spa. That'll be sweet. I'll see who's working on an assemblage and ask them if they want to partner up!

#49650 Trinity River Vision

Posted by 76107 on 17 August 2008 - 09:36 PM in Public & Institutional

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Aug 17 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cbellomy @ Aug 17 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read today in our local daily that the FW library system is about to cut hours and possibly branches, fairly drastically.

Am I the only one who has a problem spending huge bucks on rerouting a bunch of polluted water for ostensibly aesthetic reasons while we are failing to meet basic civic needs? I suppose it makes sense as an investment if one really believes in the anticipated outcome. Problem is, I don't.

--eeyore

You're the only one.

I'm actually right there with you. I think that its shameful, really, for us to embark on that kind of public project while failing to maintain streets, keep our schools in a condition where the roof isn't fixed via a bake sale, and otherwise cut public services while maintaining a ridiculously high tax rate. Of course, I am not one who cheerleads what I am told to cheerlead. I also don't think we'll make a go of economically justifying all of the new projects coming online, much less fill out the TRV, if we don't get some new blood in this town, and quickly. Hard to lure people, though, when we can't even keep a Cafe Express open and if it were, a person could lose their fillings driving to get to it. But hey, at least we can keep ourselves busy thinking of all the things we hate about Dallas while our town collapses around us.

#49130 Trinity River Vision

Posted by 76107 on 31 July 2008 - 10:57 PM in Public & Institutional

QUOTE (Dallastar @ Jul 31 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SOONER FAN @ Jul 31 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Who's laughing now??"

? blink.gif

Yea, I was kind of wondering who was laughing myself. Dallas has kind of come out, way the heck ahead, by most reasonable measures. More businesses, higher home values, more restaurants, better public transportation, vastly higher tax base, a museum district that is rapidly eclipsing ours, and so on and so forth. I'm here, but because I want to make a difference in a city of which I have grown fond.

The TRV is not necessarily the best thing in the world, in my opinion, but once Dallas catches on to the whole concept of the Riverwalk, which they basically have done, it will get developed much more quickly, and with far greater transparency, than here. The problem with this is that there are finite dollars for retail in a given DMA.

What worries me is that we've a lot of square footage to fill, and that square footage thus far is being filled with tenants from Dallas. Once they realize that we can't keep a restaurant open past nine, that we're just going to keep on shopping where we always shopped because that's where daddy took us, and that we continue to refer to buildings by names that changed decades before we were born, that too will change. At that point we'll go back to having a handful of home grown tenants, and a few national credit ones that service our demo, which on paper is Target.

You want to fill out that kind of new acreage? Abandon the xenophobia and useless nostalgia for a time hardly anyone on this board can remember clearly. Otherwise, welcome to Branson. Maybe we can get Andy Williams to agree to open up shop along the Trinity. He can rock the crowd every night by knowingly changing the words to Moon River and Our Town. That'll be the day!

#46306 Some more new homes in old neighborhoods

Posted by 76107 on 13 May 2008 - 10:43 AM in Residential

QUOTE (PLS @ May 12 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we're involved in several lot development projects in frisco and the general rule of thumb for the spec homebuilders is the lot price should equal roughly 30% of the final home price. admittedly i'm not intensively involved in the homebuilding side of the business, but based on the home prices listed earlier in the thread, assuming a decent sized lot can be acquired, an $800k home could sit on a lot that costs as much as $240k to make financial sense for the builder. can anyone confirm/correct this data?

The usual rule of thumb used to be an 80/20 split, which still makes sense in the lower priced sub-markets, but recently we've been seeing even up to a 60/40. It really all depends on your banker.

#45661 T&P Tavern & Diner

Posted by 76107 on 21 April 2008 - 10:18 PM in Commercial

QUOTE (Sam Stone @ Apr 21 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the story:
http://www.fortworth...lay.php?id=7397

I don't know a lot about the restaurant industry, but I know this: Two guys who have no experience in the restaurant industry and are starting with an essentially raw space are bound to fail. There's a breed of cannibal restaurateurs out there who feed on the remains of doomed ventures like these and open up successful eateries in their place a couple years down the road. I'm looking forward to eating in that restaurant.

I saw one of the dudes scraping sixty year old, lead laden paint off the walls. He had a little scraper from home depot, and, in a concession to health, had opened one of the windows.

I too look forward to eating in the next restaurant, probably opened by a group from Dallas, unless an Albanian decides to open another "Pizza and Red Sauce, Now With Drugs™!" kind of place. That tends to open well here. Kosovar Krab Klaws, anyone?

In any case, while I was hanging out watching the whole spectacle, two mice fell into a bucket of cream.

#43964 Cultural district tenants

Posted by 76107 on 14 February 2008 - 02:54 PM in Commercial

I don't necessarily think that the Apple store going into UP Village precludes it going into Museum Place. There's great precedent for Apple opening stores very close to one another as long as the traffic warrants it. The issue is what happens to University Camera, which has some sort of Authorized Apple Dealership thing going. Which makes me wonder if maybe University Camera is going into Museum Place. Doesn't seem the national tenant, but then again Cooder's Village in Dallas has been in HP Village for sixty years and moves a lot of product. I don't think the Gap, for what its worth, is pursuing opening many stores right now.

#43963 Ridiculous things are happening in Dubai

Posted by 76107 on 14 February 2008 - 02:46 PM in Miscellaneous

They're tryin' to CJ. They want to build a huge lake, remember? And from what I understand, our liberry-free junior college will be the envy of the world when it finally looms large over the tamed Trinity. In the meantime, you can still lease a whole lotta the Radio Shack headquarters if you want to imagine yourself in some sort of Futuristic Playground of the Future™. Me, I'm just gonna watch Logan's Run over and over and hope they don't dig a gas well under my house.

#43877 MINORITY REPORT

Posted by 76107 on 12 February 2008 - 02:33 PM in Miscellaneous

Did I miss something here? Were there tinfoil hats handed out? Do I need to go get mine out of the drawer?

#43415 Anyone on the Forum with an engineering background?

Posted by 76107 on 28 January 2008 - 05:09 PM in Miscellaneous

I'll get a Delaware corp formed in the morning. You break out the Vodka and Vicodin and we'll see if we can't get all those seniors, once they're finished voting for the Cross Dressing Nazi that the Lord Ordained Be Our President, to take a back end piece of the deal. From what I understand we can get the reverse polarity dynahex flow module reverse engineered by the Chinese. It'll have to be spec-ed out as a solid state dynahex inverter with reverse flow capacity when conjoined with the optional Latuca2000™ spinner module to get around Chrysler's lawyers, but we've done that before.

Mmmm...butter.

#43385 Anyone on the Forum with an engineering background?

Posted by 76107 on 27 January 2008 - 05:16 PM in Miscellaneous

That's really funny. Does it have any use in Frac-ing? Is there some way we can sell the production rights to a wildcatter drunk on Barnett shale money? If the Turbo Encabulator fell into a bucket of cream, what would happen?

#43384 Sell house in Cultural District Now? Or Wait?

Posted by 76107 on 27 January 2008 - 05:03 PM in Residential

Its is a cute house. If you can't sell it, given its location you could always try renting it out for short periods of time to fancy dancy cutting horse people. I know the city doesn't like it, but if its for a month or more, or even a couple of weeks, you aren't really running a hotel. I think that there's going to be a great market for well furnished, centrally located rental property in the next few years. People are remodeling, getting divorced, building from the ground up, etc.

An additional observation...Not to be unpleasant about it, but your house didn't sell after six months on the market, when marketed through a realtor. Now you're trying to get more money for it a year later, without realtor involvement. As a bit of free advice, worth exactly what you're paying, usually the reason houses don't sell is because they're either priced wrong or there's something wrong with them. Taking this into consideration, I don't know that a year after the fact I would try and get more money for something that hadn't drawn a buyer at less. The house is nice enough. Price it to move, lease it, or be willing to carry it until a buyer comes along at your price.

#43274 Favorite Bar, Pub, Club in FW

Posted by 76107 on 23 January 2008 - 04:58 PM in Arts and Entertainment

If you live in Bedford, wax your chest, want to date a drug rep, or eat ramen five nights a week in order to spend five hundred bucks you really don't have on a bottle of Crown, its a great place. I, on the other hand, will be drinking at the Hideaway until they haul me out pending a demolition order.

#43270 Best Mexican Food in Fort Worth?

Posted by 76107 on 23 January 2008 - 04:33 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Actually you can get them to open a charge account for you if you go enough. I'm no expert on Mexican food, but I have to correct the misconception that La Familia has store bought tortillias. They make their tortillias on premises, as they do everything else. Also, if you want a torta that could choke a goat, Tortilandia on Hemphill will do you up a milanesa torta that could make you slap yo' mama.

#43269 Best Italian Food in Fort Worth?

Posted by 76107 on 23 January 2008 - 04:27 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Bella West. They charge like the Light Brigade, but you get what you pay for. Its kind of like La Piazza without Vito, or Vito's horrible attitude. Its also behind a police substation in case you want to ask them for a ride home when you're done. I also think Nonna Tata is one of the best Italian restaurants in the country, and I've eaten at a lot of them. Unfortunately, I'm something of a hood rat, and it ain't in my hood. Also, you could grow old and die waiting for a table on a Friday.

#43266 Ruth's Chris to open Downtown

Posted by 76107 on 23 January 2008 - 04:14 PM in Fort Worth Architecture

You know, we really needed another place to eat steak in Fort Worth. We've only the Chophouse, Del's, the Silver Fox, Eddie V's (when it opens), Cattlemen's, Lonesome Dove, Duce, and let's not forget that thing by the courthouse where they shove meat at you until you beg them to quit. There's also a steakhouse on Calmont that does a pretty good lunch special, but it isn't for everyone, so I'll keep it off my list. I will enjoy the direct competition angle, however, insofar as Del's is concerned.

#43265 Old Bank @ the corner of 9th and Houston

Posted by 76107 on 23 January 2008 - 03:59 PM in Commercial

There are quite a lot of buildings like that in Fort Worth, from what I've seen. The owner(s) doesn't need the money now, has a huge amount of money in the bank to begin with, and incidentally just made some cash on the sale a large asset (in this case a hotel). I know of one instance where a guy is storing his cars in a piece of prime real estate until he figures out what he wants to do with it because, quite frankly, it makes more sense for him to store his cars there than to fool with leasing it.

As far as the old bank is concerned, however, I guess I can see the reasoning behind holding out for 20+ NNN in this market. There's got to be some bank somewhere that wants to break into the market that will see 20 bucks a foot as a bargain. Compared to what the dirt's going for underneath it, it is kind of a bargain. If I were a bank, I'd be on the phone right now. I wish I were a bank. In the meantime, I'm going to see who I know that's looking to expand their presence...

#40878 Typical "finders fee" in the state of Texas

Posted by 76107 on 22 October 2007 - 05:45 PM in Miscellaneous

QUOTE(safly @ Oct 18 2007, 06:51 PM) View Post

^^Sure . Get in trouble, then represent yourself. Easy Cheesy. smilewinkgrin.gif

But, you should be able to "practice" law without a license. Just don't expect a judge to allow you to represent someone in their court.

But if you can make an attorney's job that much easier (paralegal), then by all means do it. Agreed legal contracts do take precedence???

I don't know if you were trying to call me out for misspelling, but I would remind you that "practice" refers to the thing itself, while "practise" refers to the action of practising. Also, paralegals can't legally do things that require a law license.

#40828 Typical "finders fee" in the state of Texas

Posted by 76107 on 18 October 2007 - 04:56 PM in Miscellaneous

TREC, and Texas Occupations Codes, and about a thousand other things, specifically say that in order to collect a fee for representing someone in a real estate transaction, be it residential or commercial, an individual has to be either a licensed real estate agent or an attorney. Setting up a marketing portfolio is different. You're merely serving as an ad-agency. Presenting that information to the public, however, is different. You can't convey contracts, "work deals", or really do anything other than serve as a passive promotional vehicle/ad-agency. Maybe your friend has a way that I can practise law without a license too?

#40827 Trinity Vision

Posted by 76107 on 18 October 2007 - 04:48 PM in City Issues

Lake Carolyn. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Lake Carolyn. Drive out to Las Colinas and look at what a massive "urban lake" can turn into. Big swaths of nothing for years. This whole project to me seems like a way for certain connected downtown Urban Planning/Arch-i-ma-tecture firms to pad their pockets with fees and commissions. Some people want to build monuments to themselves with public money, and there are always private contractors willing to facilitate that. No different now than it was in Tammany Hall days. Kind of a good title for a book, "Tammany of the Praries", which could also sound like a bad soft core flick from the seventies.