Nitixope's Content

There have been 10 items by Nitixope (Search limited from 20-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#91007 2016 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by Nitixope on 08 April 2015 - 11:46 AM in Announcements

I thought that was a good spot for lunch inside the carriage house.  Those of us who got there just before noon, placed our order and had our food in just a couple minutes.  if folks are running late, I would suggest grabbing something on the way, otherwise you may get stuck waiting quite a bit longer to place an order and receive your food. 

#90818 2016 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by Nitixope on 26 March 2015 - 11:43 PM in Announcements

There's a good chance that I'll be able to make this lunch meeting.

#90209 Architecture in Fort Worth Said to be "Intimidating"

Posted by Nitixope on 21 February 2015 - 11:12 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

John,

I asked my guy at work who is up-to-speed on these things, and if you were running HTML5, would suggest trying http://juicebox.net/ as a slideshow tool but I don't think will work with your site.

However, he said there is an alternate work around to that that would possible be worth trying for non-HTML5 sites. What you can do is to implament jQuery into the site. 

Here is the tutorial for how to install it: http://stackoverflow...stalling-jquery

After getting that to work.  Use this to make a slideshow.  He said to keep in mind that it doesn't have fine controls like moving back and forth or shuffling, but if you just want to have some flashy pictures scrolling through the homepage, this will be perfect: 
http://snook.ca/arch...query-slideshow

At some point down the road, you might want to consider switching over to a Wordpress site, but I fully understand the time commitment involved in making that happen, especially with the number of subpages that you have.

#90177 Architecture in Fort Worth Said to be "Intimidating"

Posted by Nitixope on 18 February 2015 - 01:41 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

Hi John,

I’ve looked at your Architecture in Fort Worth page many many times, but never with critical eyes because I know it’s your life’s work and passion.  I went out there today after taking into consideration what you buddy said and put my critical glasses on (coming from a marketing and commercial construction world) and had a couple suggestions….

When you go to the homepage, there’s a ton of text.  In the marketing and web design world, people just don’t read text on websites like they would read a book especially on a homepage (the forum being an exception because it’s a discussion board).  My rule of thumb for a homepage is to use about 15% navigation structure, 15% caption and text and 70% images and graphics give or take.  People expect to see some high quality photos and navigation with only major headings and simple caption text.  My suggestion would be to keep your current website format, but reduce the amount of text on your homepage, update the background color to something light and neutral, make bigger buttons for your major categories (Downtown, Cultural District etc.) and consider adding a simple auto scrolling slideshow element where you can selectively feature some of your latest photograph additions and even some pictures of awards or other interesting things.  

For as long as I’ve been a part of the Forum, it has always been about the meat of the information for me but your “top navigation” is key to winning over the new visitor or novice reader.  In web design you should always put yourself in the shoes of the reader, especially someone who has never been to your site before.  Also, I know you’re a modest guy that don’t seek out attention, but have you considered doing a brief bio page for yourself as an “about us” to share your story, background a couple photos and the history of how this site came to be what it is today?  I think these are some minor face lift ideas that wouldn’t be as time consuming as tagging photos and doing interactive maps.  Like Donnie said, this is your spare time.

Hope this helps.

#87362 Star-Telegram going behind paywall

Posted by Nitixope on 19 September 2014 - 11:34 AM in Miscellaneous

Turn off Java in your browser settings.  Paywall pop-up won't load anymore but you'll need to turn it back on when you are done if you want other pages to load properly.

#87186 Favorite Photos of Fort Worth Not Taken by You

Posted by Nitixope on 09 September 2014 - 11:28 AM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

vfiles8961.jpg

by KevKoz (former Forum member)

#84913 Lena Pope Home Campus Expansion Project

Posted by Nitixope on 18 June 2014 - 12:06 PM in Public & Institutional

http://www.lenapope....apital-campaign

http://www.lenapope....2013_Spring.pdf

"Funds raised in the "Yes, Mrs. Pope" Capital Campaign will allow the addition of more than 40,000 square feet to the Lena Pope Home campus.  The new space at Donnelly Avenue and Sanguinet Street, across from existing Lena Pope grounds, will expand counseling and education for children and youth well beyond the main campus."

Facilities Include:

-Youth and Family Center

-Administration Office and Family Matters

-Early Learning Center

-Nature Explore Playground (learn as you play)

Site_Plan.jpg

#84498 HFW Bicycle Tour of Historic Buildings

Posted by Nitixope on 04 June 2014 - 12:20 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

If we ever want to do a bicycle tour as a "Forum Meeting" or event, I'm certainly open.  It doesn't take much to twist my arm to go out and give tours, go on a bicycle ride, or go out to take pictures.

I would be interested in a Forum bike tour.  Maybe in the morning or later in the evening, now that it is getting warmer.

#84445 "Walking" Bicycle

Posted by Nitixope on 03 June 2014 - 11:16 AM in Transportation

I know someone who bought an ElliptiGo.  It is similar to your product above.  I wasn't impressed with the quality of construction but I like the concept.  The gear system made a very noticeable sound when in-stride for some reason....I had assumed it was a cheap $299 mail order deal, but when I checked online, was surprised at the entry level model starts around $1800.  This sort of exercise is supposedly a lot less harmful to your back and neck than traditional biking.  If you are adverse to traditional biking due to injury or age, I'd suggest a recumbent trike...Greenspeed makes some great equipment that you can link in tandem or go solo.

http://www.elliptigo.com/Products

3C_Side_View_Red_265x192px_v2.jpg

Greenspeed Anura Recumbent Trikes In Tandem

4WD.anura.c550.jpg

#83443 Where is Brian L?

Posted by Nitixope on 11 April 2014 - 11:50 AM in Fort Worth Architecture

A co-worker and I were just referencing Brian's lens comparison shots on the Photo Equipment Talk thread this week and the next day I saw him on the Star Telegram.  I still can't believe he has an 800mm lens.  Looks like you could hurt your back with that thing.  That's something many dream about but few actually pull the trigger on.  Pretty cool collection of equipment, I might say.  I need to request him on Facebook so I can keep up with his latest work.