AndyN's Content

There have been 106 items by AndyN (Search limited from 21-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#106756 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 19 October 2017 - 02:49 PM in Transportation

I don't think Ron lives in Fort Worth.

I'm glad y'all found each other to debate with. Keeps me from tilting at windmills.

#106269 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 29 September 2017 - 03:46 PM in City Issues

Do it east of the ITC and continue the HSR line onwards from Dallas.

I can't help but wonder if that is impractical due to the fact that the tracks east of the ITC are all operated on by diesel-electric locomotives whereas the eastern sites are (mostly) electric locomotives. Not sure about the logistics of having to provide adequate ventilation.

#106260 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 29 September 2017 - 02:54 PM in City Issues

Interesting article in the Dallas Biz Journal and something I had thought of. Put the HQ2 on top of the bullet train station ala Tokyo's Shinjuku Station.

https://www.bizjourn...azon-s-hq2.html

#106200 Talbott-Wall House 915 Samuels Avenue

Posted by AndyN on 27 September 2017 - 03:16 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I think the house has been connected to utilities, the foundation has been completed and some paint has been touched up. I believe the house is going to be listed soon and the owner has applied for a zoning change with a historic overlay to prevent future threats to the structure. This picture is from last week before they painted the foundation trim.

talbott%20wall%20house.jpg

talbot%20wall.jpg

#106192 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 27 September 2017 - 11:15 AM in Transportation

I'm guessing actual operation of the line will be contracted to an experienced private operator like Herzog does for the TRE. 

#106111 The Dash bus connector

Posted by AndyN on 25 September 2017 - 04:01 PM in Transportation

I feel like we've had this discussion before. LOL

#105970 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 19 September 2017 - 11:15 AM in City Issues

Any proposal Fort Worth sends with Dallas will be seen as a Dallas proposal. Fort Worth would be much better off submitting its own proposal despite Amazon's request for one proposal per metro area.

Fort Worth used to anchor its own metro area, and is by far the largest U.S. city to not anchor its own census-defined metro area.

IMO, Fort Worth ought to be considered its own metro area.

Well apparently Frisco didn't get that memo because they've already produced a video including Jerry Jones touting Frisco. There's your regional effort.

#105837 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 15 September 2017 - 10:43 AM in City Issues

I was under the impression that TRWD only acquired the land they needed for the bypass channel. I don't have time to fact check that information, but at the very least, La Grave field and the surrounding land is privately owned.

Edit: So is Panther Island Brewing at 501 N. Main.  I tried doing a georeference search for other area properties, but TAD's site isn't cooperating.

Edit 2: Scratch that on La Grave.  It is owned by the water district, but I believe the current proposal to field a team there calls for a private land owner to swap nearby land for the field with TRWD.

TRWD is probably the largest owner of property in the P.I. area. Followed by Panther Acquisition Partners, the current owner of LaGrave Field and nearby tracts. One of the larger parcels on the west side is still owned by Union Pacific/St. Louis Southwestern. I'm pretty sure they are willing to sell as they are no longer providing service to that site.

As others have reported, Jim Lane was longtime friends with Carl Bell and made arrangements for TRWD to buy several of Bell's tracts for above market rates when he was going through bankruptcy. But that is a matter for the politics page. The remainder of Bell's tracts including the ballpark went to his creditors who then sold to Panther Acquisitions. 

I'm sure Amazon could put together a sufficient sized tract to build a nice HQ.

#105721 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 13 September 2017 - 02:31 PM in Transportation

This bridge is an absolute monster. I noticed in the last week that you could see the pylons coming into downtown on 121 and girders started going up this week.

Yes, and looking like quite the roller coaster ride.

#105697 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 12 September 2017 - 01:47 PM in City Issues

Sorry for the double post, but rename asked about TRV funding.  I've gone back and read posts from last year and I'm unclear on where the funding stands. It sounds like it's been approved as part of one bill and appropriated in another omnibus spending bill.  After both bills were approved, there was mention that there was no guarantee the Corps passes up backlogged projects to fund TRV and that the money could disappear in future funding cuts.  My point was that funding still may be in limbo and I was concerned that the funding and construction timeline may not match up with Amazon's wants or needs.  More of a question than a statement.

I don't recall all the mechanics of the arrangement, but PI is full speed ahead regardless of funding. Tarrant Regional Water District has massive financial resources (why do you think the west side gang fought so hard to keep control?) and has been paying the bills for PI in anticipation of being repaid when federal funds and/or TIF money is available. I believe the majority of the delays are over now and we won't see any issues like with the bridge construction. At least I hope not.

As for transportation, the PI folks are actively planning for a transit line. Wouldn't take much to extend it to 9th and Jones Intermodal Station.

I think PI is a great suggestion for Amazon. Housing, office and amazing lifestyle all in a central location. I hope the CofC, the Mayor, and JD Granger get together with a knock it out of the ballpark proposal.

#105696 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 12 September 2017 - 01:34 PM in Transportation

DART - Downtown Dallas to DFW Airport: 10 stops,  65 to 70 mins.

Man, that orange line ride to the airport is a beating. I rode out one night just to see the line and I didn't get past Northlake College before I gave up and turned around.

#105171 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by AndyN on 22 August 2017 - 09:10 PM in Announcements

Dentist appointment on Thursday. If I make Benito's, I might not be eating.

#104867 Talbott-Wall House 915 Samuels Avenue

Posted by AndyN on 13 August 2017 - 09:04 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

The house is down on the new foundation now and the artificial stone blocks are being installed and look great. I'll try to grab a picture this week.

#104736 The Dash bus connector

Posted by AndyN on 08 August 2017 - 02:43 PM in Transportation

Man, it's about butts in seats. Identify where your riders are, where they want to go and connect the two places.

Battery ZEBs sound good, but what is the environmental cost of the total lifecycle of the batteries? Not sure what flavor battery they are going with but lithium titanate batteries were mentioned on one of the buses electricron linked to. Battery production has issues and then end-of-life recycling and/or disposal need to be looked at in the big picture.

Personally, I prefer ETBs, but I realize the T doesn't have a budget for that and many complain the overhead contact system is visual pollution..

#104666 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 04 August 2017 - 11:25 AM in Transportation

Stadler completes first US assembled FLIRT for TexRail project:

http://www.railwayga...kJyA48.facebook

#104647 The T's new Master Plan

Posted by AndyN on 02 August 2017 - 03:56 PM in Transportation

Interesting...

"She (Mayor Price) also discussed a possible $400 million bond issue in 2018 -- with 65 percent of that money dedicated to transportation."

I'm sure in city-speak that means streets.

#104553 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by AndyN on 28 July 2017 - 10:07 AM in Announcements

Too many projects on my desk today. I'll have to try again in August.

#104517 FW Cats/LaGrave For Sale

Posted by AndyN on 27 July 2017 - 02:06 PM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

Alright I'm gonna get all conspiracy theory here.

Can an owner still get insurance pay outs using demolition by neglect? 

I don't think so. If you're specifically talking about the concept / practice of demolition by neglect, I'd think lack of maintenance would cause the insurance to be cancelled. I've had my agent threaten to cut my policy over the age of the roof.

As for the fire specifically, I would imagine that the fire might be a covered loss, but I am not an insurance professional and I can't help but wonder if their lack of maintaining fences and security might cause the underwriter to pause before cutting that check. As I recall, the stadium is currently owned by investor/speculator people who are basically threatening to tear it down if nobody comes to buy them out at their price.

My comment about demolition by neglect wasn't specifically about the fire, but the general lack of maintenance and security over the past few years.

#104488 FW Cats/LaGrave For Sale

Posted by AndyN on 27 July 2017 - 08:04 AM in Professional Sports and Recreational Activities

Demolition by neglect.

#104450 Trinity River Vision

Posted by AndyN on 26 July 2017 - 09:40 AM in Public & Institutional

I haven't seen it yet but someone says they actually finally poured a concrete pier.

#104399 West Texas urban developments

Posted by AndyN on 24 July 2017 - 01:56 PM in Surrounding Cities

I just moved out of Wall Street Lofts at the end of June. That convention center construction was definitely annoying especially when trying to grap a quick nap at lunchtime.

I'm not sure, but the mixed-used project immediately west of the CC (where the courthouse used to stand) is on hold or cancelled last time I heard.

#104397 Trains, Streetcars, and Fort Worth's Past

Posted by AndyN on 24 July 2017 - 01:51 PM in Local History

I have a photo of my maternal grandmother in front of the Fostepco Heights Trolley

If you'd like to post it let me know. I'd be happy to host the picture on my domain if you don't have a storage space.

#104360 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by AndyN on 21 July 2017 - 01:58 PM in Announcements

National Milk Chocolate Day, Buffalo Soldiers Day, National Get Gnarly Day, National Talk in an Elevator Day or maybe National System Administrator Appreciation Day?

#104204 Project at Northside & 35 on the Trinity.

Posted by AndyN on 11 July 2017 - 11:17 AM in Residential

1000 year event? Don't think I've ever seen that indicated before, but that's a much better situation than a 100 year event. Haven't we had some 500 year events in the past 10 years?

Still have to design for it. I don't think this area has seen anything close to a 500 in quite some time. A couple of years ago, when a lot of the areas were flooding the measurement location just upstream peaked at 7 tenths below the 100' elevation.

*edit* I don't even think it was over a 500 year event when Montgomery Wards was under water.

All of the occupied spaces are 2' above the project flood elevation established by the Corps of engineers. That's about 12' above the 100 year elevation.

Maybe I am thinking of Midland. I'm pretty sure someone has had a 500 in the last 10 years.

They must be getting a map revision, because you normally can't build in the floodway and I'd say a majority of their site is solidly in the floodway, much less the 100 year floodplain. This is a curious project for me. 

DOLCE%20VITA%20RIVERSIDE.JPG

Of course, these conditions are pre-bypass channel and downstream Gateway park storage, etc. I wonder how much of their engineering relies on the Panther Island Project being completed.

#104196 Project at Northside & 35 on the Trinity.

Posted by AndyN on 11 July 2017 - 09:15 AM in Residential

1000 year event? Don't think I've ever seen that indicated before, but that's a much better situation than a 100 year event. Haven't we had some 500 year events in the past 10 years?