arch-image's Content

There have been 40 items by arch-image (Search limited from 25-February 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#109098 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by arch-image on 22 February 2018 - 03:26 PM in Announcements

Going to do all I can to be there! 

#109054 Red brick house near Ridglea Country Club?

Posted by arch-image on 20 February 2018 - 08:07 AM in Local History

I recall seeing a 1943 Ashburn's map that had that area marked "polo grounds". I have also seen a 1953 issue of This Month in Fort Worth with a photograph of those apartments calling them "new". My memories are subject to revision by the passing years, of course.

Thanks for the info and photo Ghost. They always reminded me of the Butler housing and I always wondered if they were built originally as low income housing or if they were just standard apartments. In the 70's they were definitely section 8 type but as they were across from the Country club I always wondered.  

#109028 The old wooden train trestle bridge

Posted by arch-image on 18 February 2018 - 02:18 PM in Local History

Browsing through the Facebook group Fort worth Memories and History, I found a photo of a S-T clipping about the November 1955 incident. Two ten year old boys, Jon Scott Haasch and James Albert Corbin, were killed on the Walnut Creek bridge west of the park beneath the 377 overpass. A third boy, younger brother to James, survived, apparently without injury. 

Love old wooden bridges and was trying to locate this ... did you mean 287 instead of 377? 

#109025 Red brick house near Ridglea Country Club?

Posted by arch-image on 18 February 2018 - 12:49 PM in Local History

A 1955 aerial of that block: 

Wow, brings back lots of memories. My first "real" job was doing basic maintenance and lawn care for the apartments shown on the right of the photo. Does anyone know the history behind them? I always wondered as they had been there for so long. Tried doing some research on TAD but not much history I could find. Historic Aerials go back to 52 and they were there then. They kind of remind me of military Housing but that was over in Westworh village area by the base. They were government housing when I worked there in the mid 70's but can't imagine that's what they were originally built as. 

#109024 Tree Hugggers

Posted by arch-image on 18 February 2018 - 10:01 AM in City Issues

I generally like this idea. I hate when a developer comes in on a beautiful tree'd site and just plows it all up just because it's a bit easier. Personally I feel like this is more of a residential and large plan development sites issue than general one off commercial sites. That said, I do hope it doesn't go off the deep end as some areas have. I don't think it really matters to much for trees under 6" caliper or even 9", if your under that, in a couple of years you can be right back with planting new trees of similar type. 

#109023 Hospitality Industry Trending Toward Infill Historic Remodels

Posted by arch-image on 18 February 2018 - 09:50 AM in City Issues

Reworking buildings will always be my favorite type of work but they are tough projects from start to finish. While I agree the tax credits can help with financing, in general, I would say its more 5% on the stack unless a very major and desired project, but hey, every little bit helps. Most developers I work with wont do a project if it hinges on Tax credits, if making a deal is so close financially that you MUST have those then it's probably to risky, not to say many wouldn't. As for saving construction costs and time on schedule there not really much different. In many cases it's more expensive. While yes, your not doing dirtwork, and utilities and building the basic shell, you re doing demo, cleaning, dealing with environmental issues, and it's not unusual that you have to upgrade the site utilities, windows, and curtain wall repairs.  It typically takes about 3 months on average to get sitework, utilities, and the foundation in, about the same as it takes to gut a building  etc... if you have a big abatement phase, it actually can take longer. As for cost, that shell of a building is sometimes is cheaper than building from scratch but definitely not always the case, plus you have be prepared for upgrading all of the MEP. If a really old building the AC/Heat systems tend to be shot, Electric is undersized, plumbing tends to have a 3-4" main at best as there wasn't much bathrooms, Fire systems are minimal and sometimes nothing more than a standpipe. I did a seminar once on renovating buildings and as I said then, whatever you think your going to salvage .... cut it in half. In relation to the articles comments on people wanting new and cool brands, maybe for the vacationer, but but in most hotels, sales are business based and those people will always stick with their favorite brand. If I had my way, all I would do is this type work, there definitely a lot of work but also a lot of fun.  But the thought they save a ton of money isn't usually the case. 

#108859 Museum Place

Posted by arch-image on 09 February 2018 - 05:42 PM in Commercial

it would work, but a little more archtectural substance would be great. It does fit in well with the other Museum place buildings

that was my thinking, whatever goes there needs to be more modern looking and have some "features" shall we call it to it. I felt the Renovo was extremely plain and boxy. Oh, and yes Jefffwd, we could lose the palm trees, this one is being done in Orlando, we do tall Cati here right? 

#108842 Museum Place

Posted by arch-image on 09 February 2018 - 11:21 AM in Commercial

Thank you John, Would be curious on thoughts from those who didn't like the design what your thoughts of this would be 

39258631235_bae4f48eb6_b.jpgElement-Hotel_ Prototype by Arch-Image, on Flickr 

#108818 Museum Place

Posted by arch-image on 08 February 2018 - 04:27 PM in Commercial

Well Duuuu, anything you build there your going to be able to see, Jeez I hate really really dislike people sometime. Was trying to post a pic of a concept but cant figure out how on here. Does the board allow linking to flickr? 

#108816 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by arch-image on 08 February 2018 - 04:05 PM in Announcements

Had to be in Houston so I missed all the inside top secret Juicy Gossip  :angry2:

#108815 Museum Place

Posted by arch-image on 08 February 2018 - 04:01 PM in Commercial

I still don't really understand the Kimball's comment/complaint on how anything to the north of their location is going to cast a shadow on them. Sun Still rises and sets east west ... I think anyway. 

#108525 Museum Place

Posted by arch-image on 26 January 2018 - 09:51 AM in Commercial

Been away through the holidays and flu season .... absolutely blown away that they pulled the rug out on this one. The city keeps screaming they want more hotels and development but short of Austin, haven't seen anywhere that makes it more difficult to get projects thru all the red tape. Would love to take on this project and talked with two developers but both are pretty hesitant due to the issues the city, museum and neighbors have all thrown in the way. As for the comment on wishing people could do these without the incentives, with the costs of land in these type areas and downtown its pretty difficult to make the numbers work without some help other wise the in a hotel like this your looking having to raise room rates that aren't going to be competitive enough to get people to stay there unless its during some big event and that's only about 3 month worth of days of the year. Most developers quite honestly prefer not to have to go for incentives either! 

#108100 McMansion Hell blog

Posted by arch-image on 30 December 2017 - 12:27 PM in Residential

This is awesome! lol 

#108098 2315 N. Main

Posted by arch-image on 30 December 2017 - 11:56 AM in Commercial

Really Nice! I've done a couple of Springhill suites and this does a really nice job of keeping a bit of the style and look of the typical look of a Springhill but on a much larger and grander scale, great job I think! 

#107715 FTW Convention Center

Posted by arch-image on 08 December 2017 - 05:05 PM in Fort Worth Architecture

Hey Bonfire, I found on a site said it was 85' tall at its peak which seems about right. I used google earth and came up about 350 on the dome portion, and 450 with overhangs but that seems bigger than I would have thought. 

#107705 FTW Convention Center

Posted by arch-image on 08 December 2017 - 01:15 PM in Fort Worth Architecture

Does anyone know the diameter of the round portion of the convention center as well as how tall it is? Spent an hour or so searching around the net and cant find much on it. Appreciate any info!  

#107704 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by arch-image on 08 December 2017 - 11:43 AM in Announcements

I would Definitely be up for it!  

#107364 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by arch-image on 17 November 2017 - 02:12 PM in Announcements

Never Noticed this before! When the date gets decided I will def try and make it! 

#106885 Cadillac Lofts

Posted by arch-image on 26 October 2017 - 03:23 PM in Residential

Any word on this project? I had heard at one time they asked for another extension to close the loan for the 3rd or 4th time and the Kent family said no. Cool little spot to do something! 

#106884 House Speaker Straus not seeking re-election

Posted by arch-image on 26 October 2017 - 10:53 AM in Politics

I think he is gearing up for a run at Governors office. He has been one of the sane guys who has helped keep things in a little bit of check and balance I think in Austin. I have always been pretty impressed with him and think he would do very well. 

#106670 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by arch-image on 17 October 2017 - 04:13 PM in Commercial

Thanks Rename as well as others, was here way in the past, but somewhere along the line kinda got busy and stopped following it but glad to be back not only in the forum but also back to living and working from the Ft Worth and Tarrant county side of town, no offense intended to my friends in the Dallas Side! :)

#106568 Adding More Hotels Downtown

Posted by arch-image on 12 October 2017 - 03:44 PM in Commercial

Your correct, 70% is not bad, like to see more in the 75-80 but usually 70 is ok, concern is with 30% more rooms added what is going to happen to rates

#106567 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by arch-image on 12 October 2017 - 03:43 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I wasnt able to make any of the meetings this week at the city, anything happen with T&P? Or if it was even discussed ......

#106502 Adding More Hotels Downtown

Posted by arch-image on 10 October 2017 - 07:47 AM in Commercial

Interesting article in the FWST this morning on the opening of the first of seven hotels being built downtown. I was a bit surprised to see that overall occupancy is only 70%. Center core has 2522 rooms and they are adding just over 1,000. Can't help but feel like that will drive it down in to the mid 60's unless something changes substantially with and increase in convention bookings or new large corporate moving in.

#106488 Adding More Hotels Downtown

Posted by arch-image on 09 October 2017 - 04:36 PM in Commercial

I hope you know it was a quote from the President of the Fort Worth chamber. Not my words. If anything from what I remember he was planning to "compete" with Dallas on business that needs office space. I have my doubts weather he can ? But I hope I am wrong. And he was not talking about tourism. lol But it seems I cannot find my post with the link ?

Again, not a rebuttal to anything you said, IMO, the emphasis being placed on competing with Dallas for businesses needing office space is going to be daunting. Fort Worth doesn't have an available pipeline of speculative new, cutting edge office space that businesses will be demanding. 

It seems that 1 or 2 realty groups control the Downtown Market.  Until Downtown becomes less of a monopolistic district and more open to where speculators like Jetta can come in with the willingness to build 21st Century office spaces,  there will be a revolving door through which office space will be largely under the management of Sundance Realty and Simpson Restoration. If the Chamber wants some speculative office projects for new office business for Downtown, then I hope that it can persuade Hillwood to invest in Downtown. Hillwood should be the first developer on it list. And why not?; as Hillwood has certainly done well in Far North Fort Worth.

Leisure Tourism is a market that Fort Worth ought to compete in more vigorously.  The hospitality industry is showing that there is a growing interest in Fort Worth evidence by the new speculative hotels in the pipeline. Fort Worth immediate future when it comes to Downtown is to get the Convention Center and Convention Tourist business up an running in a major way

To a VERY large degree your correct in this statement, while I don't know I would say it is those two families/companies, but one of the biggest differences between Dallas and Ft Worth when it comes to land is in Dallas, everything has a price and at the end of the day, usually a reasonable one depending on what your buying. Ft Worth on the other hand is much the opposite, land in downtown and even surrounding areas in many cases have been in families for generations and many times quite frankly .... there is no price, or at least sensible price. I remember looking at a nice piece 5 years or so back about 2 acres vacant, hasn't been anything on it in decades and when we approached the owners, "not for sale" I mentioned, "everything has a price", the guy looked at me quizzically and said well, that's true, but I don't think your going to be willing to pay 10 mil for it and that's what it would take. D vs FW .... totally different worlds when it comes to buying land and doing developments.