John T Roberts's Content

There have been 801 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 21-February 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#109041 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 February 2018 - 11:07 AM in Announcements

There is a good chance that I won't be able to make it this month.  If I don't, please carry on without me.  I will know more later in the week.

#109033 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 February 2018 - 08:36 PM in Commercial

I will have to get up there to take a look.

#109029 Fort Worth Recreation Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 February 2018 - 06:11 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Yes, it does. 

#109012 Sinclair Building Sold

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 February 2018 - 09:19 PM in Commercial

Austin, at least you have a front row seat.  Unfortunately, the weather may be rather wet this weekend, so I'm not sure that I will be there to watch the installation.  I'm not particularly fond of standing out in the rain, even with rain gear on and an umbrella. 

#108993 Hemphill/Lamar/Taylor Connector project ?

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 February 2018 - 08:41 AM in Transportation

What about the tunnel under the railroad?  Has that work been started?  If it hasn't, that may be what will take so long.  If you remember, the "bridge" of the interstate had already been constructed over where the road was going, so all the contractors had to do was to dig the back filling out from under it.

#108992 Southside developments

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 February 2018 - 08:38 AM in Urban Design and Planning

Austin, I see you were out in my neck of the woods taking pictures.

#108991 Museum Place

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 February 2018 - 08:35 AM in Commercial

Kelly Hart is probably acting as the owner's agent on this case.  I don't think they are moving. 

#108978 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 February 2018 - 03:28 PM in Announcements

February is a short month, so that means that the monthly forum meeting has rolled around again.  It will be on Friday, February 23rd at 11:45 at Benito's.  I'm working on a weekend meeting for later in the Spring when the weather gets warmer.

#108976 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 February 2018 - 01:21 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I knew an application was going back before the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission this month, but the wording of what they were seeking was very vague and I wasn't sure what they were asking permission to do.

#108975 Fort Worth Recreation Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 February 2018 - 01:19 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

The City of Fort Worth no longer owns the building.  It is in the hands of a private developer.  Like the T&P Warehouse, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  However, I don't think it has a local historic designation.  A few years back, the owner did mothball the building, but I don't think any work has been done on it since.  I also believe that City Code officials could try to force the owner to further secure the site, similar to what is being done at the T&P Warehouse.

#108965 Austin55' fiddlin around.

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 February 2018 - 09:26 PM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

I still say the Landmark Tower site was the perfect location for such a skyscraper.

#108963 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 February 2018 - 07:31 PM in Commercial

PeopleAreStrange, I believe the street will still be open to traffic.  The sidewalks will also be paved in brick.  Both parts of the project are needed due to the uneven sidewalks and the condition of the brick street. 

#108924 Lily B. Clayton Elementary School

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 February 2018 - 08:53 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Normally, I don't post updates to the site on the forum, but I have added another photograph to the listing for Lily B. Clayton Elementary School.  It is a photo of the original 4 classroom building (1922) with the 1924 addition projecting outward on the left side of the building.  The 1924 addition was also four classrooms, but the grade was already sloping off, so the architect put those classrooms on split levels.  This created a partial basement for the original building.  Both of these pink brick parts were designed by Wiley G. Clarkson.  From 1936 until 1938, a two phase major addition put a new south wing along Park Place and an east wing running northward on the east side of the building.  This gave the building a "U" shape.  These two additions were clad in yellow and orange brick, and the south side of the original building was reclad in that same color brick to provide a unified facade along Park Place.  Preston M. Geren designed that work.  It was also a W.P.A. project and the the campus was also landscaped as a part of it.  In 1989, a free standing gymnasium was built directly to the north of the 1924 addition, and in 2003, a 14 classroom addition connected the east wing to the gymnasium.  The shape of the building is still a "U", but now the legs point east/west. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark.

Below is the new photo that I have added with the rebricked portion and connection on the right:

clayton-1922.jpg

This is the front facade of the school consisting of the 1936-38 addition and the connection to the original building.

lilybclayton.jpg

The new photograph will also be posted on Architecture in Fort Worth's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram sites.

#108902 Reit plans to demolish Westchester Tower and redevelop as mixed use

Posted by John T Roberts on 11 February 2018 - 11:58 AM in Commercial

Dylan, what I usually do, is read the paper to find out where the restricted zone is located.  Unfortunately, that is only released "officially" a few days before the implosion.  Since no one reads the paper in the printed version and they offer subscriptions online, this may be a little more difficult.  Anyway, once I have the information where I'm not allowed, then I seek out the closest location with the best view.  You also have to remember that these usually occur in the morning, so anywhere looking to the east (or southeast) will have sun issues.  Before I started the website, I used to not worry too much about being on private property, but since I publish these types of events on the site and on social media, my location will be on public property.  For the record, I have shot and published from private property, but I was invited. 

Since I serve on the Board of Historic Fort Worth, and we own Thistle Hill, I was thinking I might be able to shoot from there, but I have found out that the house and grounds will be in the restricted area, so I know that I won't be taking my pictures there.  Supposedly, the line will be at approximately one city block away in all directions.  This would put the line along the north edge of Pruitt Street, on the south side of Thistle Hill.  What people don't realize is that the street is privatized and Cook Children's owns the street.  They also own 7th Ave south of Pennsylvania.  They may or may not allow people to use their street to view.  The one block area to the east should end at Ballinger and along that street should have some good viewing.  You are also looking west and away from the sun. 

#108894 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 February 2018 - 08:34 PM in Commercial

I will agree that it does look that way from some angles.  They only built what they thought the market could support.  There are still some vacant floors, so it appears they probably built about the right amount to fill up over the next few months to a year.

#108893 Chisholm Trail economic development

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 February 2018 - 08:24 PM in Commercial

That's the last part of the Edwards Ranch property that is slated for development.  It's in their master plan, but they are focusing on Clearfork first.

#108892 Go North, Young Man

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 February 2018 - 08:21 PM in Residential

That sounds great, Doohickie.  You will have to change your location on the forum to 76133.

#108891 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 February 2018 - 08:19 PM in Announcements

You're welcome.  I should have posted something earlier, but I do get busy.  The next tour is the Lancaster Corridor and it is going to be a week early.  It's Saturday, March 3rd, and that is one day before the scheduled implosion of Westchester Plaza.

#108875 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 10:21 PM in Announcements

We are going up on one of the roof terraces at the Blackstone.  We also wanted to get into the new Aloft, but we were unsuccessful in contacting them.

#108872 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 09:17 PM in Announcements

I haven't posted it, but the next Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour is tomorrow at 9 AM at the Texas & Pacific Lofts.  The subject matter will be Fort Worth's Historic Hotels.

#108868 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 08:25 PM in Commercial

Now in Denton, I don't know.  Here's a link to the Standards and Guidelines, so you can check for yourself.  http://fortworthtexa...wntown/ddsg.pdf

#108856 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 04:43 PM in Commercial

The project that is referenced will go on the entire city block bounded by 4th, Houston, 5th, and Throckmorton Streets.  It's the old Monnig's Department Store site that has been a parking lot since 1991.  The piece of property that you think is too small, is actually that, because you can't make a parking garage fit or work on a 100' x 100' site. 

#108855 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 04:01 PM in Commercial

Nothing was mentioned about decorative lighting.  The only thing mentioned about lighting of any type was the Frost "snowflake" logo and how it was approved with the building at the DDRB, and that now top of building signage of any type above 120 feet is now outlawed by the Design Standards.  I probably should have asked, but it won't be long before the building will be illuminated.

#108849 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 February 2018 - 03:01 PM in Commercial

Austin, I agree.  It will also make a bunch of people in The Tower mad.  Everyone on the east side will look into another building's windows.

#108834 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 February 2018 - 10:45 PM in Commercial

I toured the building with the AIA again tonight.  This was my fourth walk through since the building started construction.  Frost is scheduled to have their office workers start their first work day in the building on February 26th.  The bank lobby will open on March 1st.  Anthracite and Jetta are scheduled to move into the building in May.  I noticed on Channel 5 that the upper floors now have lights turned on. 

The interior finish out of the building is nice, and I look forward to seeing it open.  Maybe we could have a forum meeting in the new restaurant that is planned on the amenity levels. 

Also, Bennett Benner Partners confirmed what I had read into the DDRB approval.  The snowflake logo on the east and west sides at the top of the building was approved when the DDRB approved the design of the building.  This was before top of building signage was outlawed by the design guidelines and standards modifications.