John T Roberts's Content

There have been 825 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 21-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#106779 New Hotel at 9th and Commerce

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 October 2017 - 09:43 PM in Commercial

I will take a better photo, once the hotel is open.  I had my good camera with me, but I was going to have to set everything up, including a tripod, so since there was equipment in front and they were working on the north side of the building, I decided to wait to take a higher resolution picture.  I don't know if you noticed it, but one of the vertical cove strips was not working tonight.

#106775 New Hotel at 9th and Commerce

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 October 2017 - 09:00 PM in Commercial

They are not quite finished, but here is my cell phone photograph taken of the building tonight.

23951274448_6a97f2f2cb_h.jpgIMG_0888 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#106758 New Hotel at 9th and Commerce

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 October 2017 - 03:00 PM in Commercial

I heard a rumor that the opening date is now set for Thursday, November 2nd.

#106753 Arts Goggle THIS SATURDAY!

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 October 2017 - 12:55 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Congratulations!

#106724 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 October 2017 - 09:41 PM in Commercial

It could be that it is too short.  I was trying to hit a middle point.  One thing you are not taking into consideration is that the Omni is a full service hotel with ballrooms, meeting rooms, and a lot of space that this Residence Inn will not have.  The lower three floors are these types of assembly spaces and the floor to floor height is quite tall.  The proposed 15 story AC Hotel at 5th and Main is supposed to be 167'-6" tall.  It has the lower two floors at 18' each, the upper two floors at 13'-6" each and the main floors at 9'-6" each. 

#106711 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 October 2017 - 03:57 PM in Commercial

Here is how I came up with a 275' height for a 25 story hotel.  Yes, hotels have shorter floor to floor heights than office buildings.  I was assuming 10 feet from floor to floor.  It could be as little as 9 feet.  Anything less than that would probably not be practical.  Anywas at 10 feet with a building at 25 stories, that would yield an absolute minimum height of 250 feet.  However, one would not expect the ground floor with a lobby to have the same height as a floor with just rooms.  So, I decided to double the height.  That would make it 260 feet.  On the roof, the elevator overrun, stair connection to the roof and any mechanical would put another floor up there.  That would make the height 270 feet.  I added five feet for extra mechanical equipment on the roof or other amenity floors that might require more height than a standard room floor.  That's how I came up with 275 feet.   If the building had 9 feet floor to floor heights on the same premise, the building would be about 245 feet high. 

#106685 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 October 2017 - 09:17 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I have heard it called I-345 a few times, but not many.  I even remember it getting the three number interstate designation before it was built.  I was actually surprised when it opened and there weren't any Interstate signs on it.

#106681 Tearing Out Freeways: A Third Option

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 October 2017 - 08:24 PM in Urban Design and Planning

No one calls it I-345.  This is partially due to the fact that it is unsigned.  However, the official designation is I-345.  There are several unsigned highways in Texas, and I'm sure there are more in other parts of the country. 

Anybody want to take a guess on Spur 366?

#106653 Proposed Hilton Garden Inn next to Mt. Gilead Church downtown

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 October 2017 - 07:49 AM in Commercial

Didn't you know that this forum telepathically communicates with everyone!

#106639 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 06:48 PM in Announcements

Thank you for attending, Dylan.  By the way, please feel free to speak up next time.

#106638 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 06:06 PM in Commercial

One more floor of curtain wall has been installed and the rooftop mechanical unit has been put in place.  I took a poor photograph with my cell phone yesterday from the east that caught the rooftop equipment, but I decided to go back this afternoon to take one from the northwest.  I am not far enough back to catch the rooftop equipment.

37722294441_0fc440b27e_h.jpgfrostconst-27 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#106635 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 11:43 AM in Commercial

Share your ideas on West Seventh Street design and connectivity

Provide your input on how to make West Seventh Street a safe and well-connected place to visit. Join residents, property owners, business owners, visitors, customers, employees and other stakeholders at a series of events to design this hot spot of Fort Worth.

http://fortworthtexa...st-7th-project/

#106634 Adding More Hotels Downtown

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 11:30 AM in Commercial

The last time I drove by the site, nothing was happening.

#106631 Hotels?

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 09:55 AM in Commercial

Yesterday, after the walking tour, I went inside to take a look.  The interior is a big improvement over the incredibly small lobby of the old Park Central.  The restaurant dining room is still there on the west side of the building, but they are only serving continental breakfasts.  The lobby does have a nice bar taking up the middle of the first floor.

#106630 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2017 - 09:52 AM in Announcements

You're welcome, Hipolyte.  However, I will admit that the railroad tour was not within my field of expertise. 

#106618 Talbott-Wall House 915 Samuels Avenue

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 October 2017 - 06:40 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Thanks.  I guess our Board Member, who is legally the property owner, went ahead and had it rezoned for Commercial.  Since we now have a realtor involved, I'm sure they recommended to him that we get the process started.

#106616 Montgomery St. Antique Mall

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 October 2017 - 09:36 PM in Local History

Since that area where the apparent stable is located is on current Botanic Gardens property, I'm wondering if it wasn't a maintenance shed for the gardens.

#106615 Talbott-Wall House 915 Samuels Avenue

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 October 2017 - 09:33 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

John S., I'm not real sure if the Historic and Cultural Landmark designation ever went to the next level, which would be the Zoning Commission.  If it has not been heard by that commission, then I'm betting it is for the zoning change for a Historic and Cultural Overlay.  I know that we had been talking at HFW about changing the base zoning layer on the property, but I don't think anything has happened in that regard. I have been trying to check the city's calendar and database, but the zoning map is down right now.  The Zoning Commission agenda has not been published.

#106611 Montgomery St. Antique Mall

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 October 2017 - 07:45 PM in Local History

The octagon thingy is part of the Botanic Gardens.  It was then, and it still is there today.

#106598 Adding More Hotels Downtown

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 October 2017 - 12:34 PM in Commercial

I'm not an expert in hotels, but I do think there is some induced demand when it comes to them.  I also know that the Convention and Visitors Bureau will market the Convention Center to some of the conventions that turned us away because they claimed we didn't have enough hotel rooms.  If they attract those conventions, then the rooms will fill, and they will fill more often.  You also have to remember that we are building that big new arena in the Cultural District, and once that opens, there will probably be more of a need for hotel rooms.

#106587 Varsity Tavern - 6th highest alcohol sales in June in Tarrant Co.

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 October 2017 - 10:05 AM in Arts and Entertainment

Part of Grand Prairie is in Tarrant County; however, Lone Star Park is not. 

#106578 Montgomery St. Antique Mall

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 October 2017 - 10:18 PM in Local History

My memory isn't what it used to be, either, but I do believe the railroad bridge over I-30 did survive until the freeway was widened in the late 1980's.  Historicaerials.com also backs that up in that the bridge was there in 1979 with the freeway being narrow.  The 1990 photograph shows the freeway widened and the bridge removed.  I can also remember when it was a Fridgidaire facility.  That was before Ben Hogan and the Montgomery Street Antique Mall. The building is also another Mid-Century Modern design by Preston Geren.

#106572 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 October 2017 - 07:50 PM in Announcements

The walking tour is coming up on Saturday at 9 AM, if any of you are interested in attending.  It is an educational experience.

#106566 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 October 2017 - 02:16 PM in Public & Institutional

That's a nice aerial.  It shows us a lot more than what we can take from the ground.

#106562 Southside developments

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 October 2017 - 01:12 PM in Urban Design and Planning

Austin, parts of Magnolia are located within the Fairmount Historic District, so the neighborhood's design guidelines and standards would apply for any of the new construction that falls within the district.  That explains the use of more masonry and less cutting edge design.