John T Roberts's Content

There have been 821 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 14-December 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#107829 Confederate Memorials and Names

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 09:47 PM in Politics

The thread has been split.

I think it would be considered part of the Rosemont neighborhood.  Maybe John Roberts can weigh in; that's not too far from his 'hood.

JDP, now Parque Unidad, is located in an area served by the Rosemont Neighborhood Association, and is considered part of "The Rosemont Neighborhood".  Like Fairmount, Rosemont consists of several additions and/or subdivisions of the city.  The addition or subdivision in which the park actually sits is the Blanton's Addition.

#107817 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 11:39 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I will applaud the owner and architect for doing more than the minimum requirement for enclosing the building.  The lexan panels look more like real glass is in the windows.

#107811 Confederate Memorials and Names

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 08:36 AM in Politics

What do you suggest for a new title of the thread? 

#107810 Economic Development Plan

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 08:34 AM in City Issues

Austin, I want to say thank you for posting the link.  Unfortunately, I will not have a chance to read the report until I finish my architect's continuing education for the year.  I'm trying to do an online course every night until I finish my required hours.  This is the price I pay for procrastination.

#107777 Western Center Tower III

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 December 2017 - 10:41 AM in Commercial

Eddie Chiles' Western Company built those two towers in 1978 and 1981.  The Western Company was sold and moved to Houston, where they still operate.

#107737 "A wilder vision"

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 December 2017 - 01:16 PM in Public & Institutional

Austin, thanks for posting.  It's really fun to see a major contribution of my firm to the urban landscape.  I'm proud to say that I have had a part in this project.  There's more to come.  This is just Phase 1 of four.

#107732 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 December 2017 - 11:27 PM in Commercial

I was watching the action a little bit this morning during the Downtown Walking Tour.

#107727 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 December 2017 - 12:33 PM in Commercial

As an architect, I had noticed problems with the masonry veneer had started not too long after the building was completed. 

#107713 Future project near Pier 1 building?

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 December 2017 - 03:23 PM in Residential

Johnfwd, I'm sure you meant Henderson and West Peach Streets.  They do intersect, and that is where the new apartment building is scheduled to be constructed.

Jeriat, the Pier 1 property initially had space planned for three office buildings.  Obviously, the market has changed, but two of the three sites now have a building on them.  The remainder of the property sits in the Trinity River flood plain.

#107702 2017 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of the Month 11:45

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 December 2017 - 10:50 AM in Announcements

I'm free for lunch on any day for the next two weeks, if anyone wants to have a Forum Meeting before the end of the year.  We will still eat at Benito's, unless someone wants to meet for dinner or a lunch elsewhere on one of the weekends.  However, I do ask that we get a consensus very quickly, so we can get the word out to other forum members or guests. 

#107687 Rainbow Club Incident

Posted by John T Roberts on 07 December 2017 - 03:09 PM in City Issues

Very good, JBB!

#107665 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 06 December 2017 - 03:39 PM in Commercial

Austin, we posted this at the same time, yet we provided two different links.

#107663 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 06 December 2017 - 03:36 PM in Commercial

3rd Street Bar and Grill to open up in the Carnegie Building.  This is reported in the Fort Worth Business Press.

http://www.fortworth...fda66b7a7d.html

#107657 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 December 2017 - 07:39 PM in Announcements

The December Downtown Walking Tour is this Saturday, starting at 9:00 AM at the Texas & Pacific Lofts.  The theme for December's tour is "Churches".  The tour leaders are making arrangements for us to go inside at least one of the downtown churches.

#107654 What's happening with the realignment of Harley, demo of the Health Dept....

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 December 2017 - 07:34 PM in Public & Institutional

Approximately one block of Currie Street will be closed for four months starting in March for the construction of this project.  The closure will be at the intersection of West Lancaster, where the new Trail Drive will connect.  Here's a link to Channel 8's story on the project and the area.

http://www.wfaa.com/...ction/497093296

#107652 New Isis to be Refurbished??

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 December 2017 - 07:27 PM in Commercial

Here's a link to Channel 8's story on the restoration.

http://www.wfaa.com/...ation/497100817

#107646 General Worth Square

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 December 2017 - 11:18 AM in Public & Institutional

The Police and Fire Departments want streets in downtown to either be permanently closed or permanently open (with special exceptions, not just events).  Otherwise, it creates public safety issues.  When the debate was going on regarding the plaza, the PD and FD preferred to have the street permanently closed between 3rd and 4th Streets.  Now, it is only open during parades, which are even more limited exceptions.

#107642 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 10:56 PM in Commercial

Yes, but if you look at the renderings, the lighting was originally planned for all edges of the projected planes.  On my last tour of the building, Gannon mentioned that they were looking at value engineering all or part of the decorative lighting. 

I guess Renamerusk will be expressing his opinion of the installation of the Frost "snowflake" logo in the square.  I am thinking that the signage will have to go before the DDRB before it is installed. 

#107636 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 09:11 PM in Commercial

Here are two photos taken on December 3, 2017.  As you can see the curtain wall installation is nearly complete.  I'm including two views this time.  The first is from the east and the second is from the northwest.

37956172365_305bef5535_h.jpgfrostconst-12-03-2017 by jtrobert, on Flickr

37956170845_552d7c22be_h.jpgfrostconst-nw-12-03-2017 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#107635 General Worth Square

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 07:20 PM in Public & Institutional

No, I don't think 9th should be closed.  I think the removal of the parking spaces and widening of the sidewalks are enough.  This would create too large of a super block.

#107629 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 01:53 PM in Commercial

I took construction photographs yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to post them.  I'm going to be posting one from the east and one from the northwest because the curtain wall installation is almost complete except for missing/damaged glass, incorrect panels, and where the construction elevator and the crane is attached to the building.  Hopefully, I will post those two pictures later today.

The crane is scheduled to be removed this coming weekend.  That would be December 8, 9, & 10.  It would be a great opportunity to see how a tower crane is removed from a high-rise construction site.

#107626 901 Commerce St. - High-rise Mixed Use

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 01:11 PM in Commercial

Rename, the Residence Inn has not gone through any approval process, and the building on the site has not been demolished.  I'm thinking those are the reasons why it is not listed in that article.  There are many things that could happen before the new building is built.

#107625 Residence Inn at "Houston and 8th"

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 December 2017 - 01:09 PM in Commercial

I would say this project is not "official", yet.  Here's my reasoning.  It has not gone before the Downtown Design Review Board like 901 Commerce and the AC Hotel (twice).  JBB, I think you need to correct your post.  I was sent this month's DDRB agenda and it is not on there for December.  Another factor involved here is that new leasing signs have been put up on the building fairly recently, so I'm not real sure it is going to be demolished. 

#107607 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 December 2017 - 08:19 PM in Public & Institutional

I saw it going down I-30.  Hopefully, I will be able to get some new shots this weekend.

#107606 Mixed-use project at Magnolia & May

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 December 2017 - 08:17 PM in Residential

Welcome to the Forum!  I'm sure all of us will appreciate your input and comments.