Architecture in Fort Worth

Texas Wesleyan University

1200 Wesleyan Drive - 1891 to present - (RTHL)


Polytechnic College was founded in 1890 by the Methodist Episcopal Church in the town of Polytechnic Heights.  The original 25 acre site was donated on East Rosedale Street.  The campus opened in 1891 with three buildings: the main classroom and administration building, a church, and a dormitory building.  The college expanded rapidly in the early 1900's by constructing five major buildings and remodeling the main building. Most of the buildings constructed in the early years are in the Neo-Classical Style.  In 1914,  the college changed its name to Texas Woman's College and restricted its enrollment to women only.  In 1922, the town of Polytechnic Heights was dissolved and annexed into the City of Fot Worth. In 1937, men were admitted again, and the name was changed to Texas Wesleyan College.  The campus was expanded several times in the late 1940's thru the mid 1950's.  The buildings from the 1950's were designed in the International Style and ignored the classical style of the early structures.  In 1989, the name was changed again to Texas Wesleyan University.

 

Below are the individual campus buildings with addresses and descriptions:

Ann Waggoner Fine Arts Bldg. - 1309 Wesleyan Drive - 1909; 1923; 2002 - (RTHL)
Elizabeth Means Armstrong Hall - 1957
Otho C. Armstrong Hall - 1957
Armstrong-Mabee Business Building - 1957; 1990
Baker Building - c.1927
Baker-Martin House - 1923
Boyd House - c.1893 - (CFW)
Canafax Clock Tower - 2015
Nenetta Burton Carter Building - 2001
Central Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church - 3200 E. Rosedale St. - 2015
Law Sone Fine Arts Center - 1947
Ella C. McFadden Science Center - 1967
O'Neal-Sells Administration Building - 1903; 1909; 1963 (RTHL)
Sid Richardson Center - 1970
Dora Roberts Dining Hall - 1957; 1981
Stella Russell Hall - 1967
Bernice Coulter Templeton Art Studio - 1413 Vaughn Blvd. - 1913; restored 2015
Dan Waggoner Hall - 1917; 1980; 1999
Eunice & James L. West Library - 1988
Boaz Student Center - 1949