Architecture in Fort Worth

Riverside Middle School

1600 Bolton St. - 1950; 1957; 1989; 2003; 2010

 

This two story middle school building was built on the same site as Amon Carter-Riverside High School. The design of the original building was a "T" with the Auditorium thrusting toward the street.  The architect was Joseph R. Pelich of Fort Worth, designing this school in the International Style.  The main body of the building is yellow brick with orange brick on the main entrance portal and on the base of the building.  This main entrance to the school was signified by a raised entry tower with the school's flagpole as a design feature.  The auditorium entrance also is clad in orange brick.  When it first opened, the school had 25 classrooms.  Enrollment increased rapidly and in 1957, a two story, 20 classroom east/west wing was added on the north end of the building.  The design on this addition matched the original building.  This made the shape of the school to be a reversed "F", with two wings facing Bolton Street.  This also created a large fronting courtyard in front of the school.  Additions were not made to the back of the building due to it being placed on the narrow end of the 20 acres with the track and football field placed immediately behind the school. During the 1980's the school was air conditioned, and the upper portions of the windows were infilled.  In 1989, a free-standing activities building was added at the south end of the track.  In 2003, Architect Arthur Weinman designed another east/west wing that was placed between the two existing ones.  This wing had a new accessible main entrance, school office, library, two science classrooms, and restrooms.  This addition was clad with yellow brick with an orange brick base on the north and the south sides.  Facing the street, it was clad almost entirely with orange brick.  In 2010, PBK Architects designed an "L" shaped addition to the north of the north wing of the school.  This brought the shape of the building to have four east/west wings connected by a long central spine on the east side.  The facade of this addition featured orange brick on the west side with yellow brick and an orange brick base on the north and south sides; however, this design was a much more stripped down interpretation of the original Mid-Century Modern design.



Original Main Entrance
Original Building Riverside MS

L-R: 2010, 1957, & 2003 Additions
Riverside MS Additions