In 1946, the U.S. Postal Service constructed this building to replace a much smaller Post Office inside Scott's Drug Store, which was located inside the McAdams Building. At that time, Race Street was primarily residential, but the street was beginning to make the transition to a commercial street. The Art Deco building remained a Post Office until 1968, when a newer building was constructed on Rhetta St. After the Post Office moved, the building was home to a medical device company. On September 16, 2012, a major fire broke out in the building, collapsing the roof. The front part of the building had the structure and roof removed, leaving only the walls. In 2019, it became The Post at River East. The demolished section of the building was never rebuilt and that area serves as an enclosed outdoor patio and dining area.
Former Post Office/Commercial Building