City of Fort Worth Demolition Delay
This commercial structure was built in 1931 by J.A. McAdams, a Riverside businessman and civic leader who worked for the area's incorporation into the City of Fort Worth in 1922. Over the years, the building housed many local businesses. The longest tenant was Scott's Drug Co., located in the building for 31 years. Other tenants in the building included a branch post office, Worth Food Market, Mott's Store, a barber shop, and the Helpy-Selfy Store. This one story, brick structure occupies a highly visible corner at Riverside and Belknap. The building's six storefront bays are divided by piers which penetrate the parapet roof to form small stepped gables.
In October of 2004, the building was scheduled to be demolished for a used car lot. Neighborhood leaders and the City of Fort Worth pooled their resources to try to save the building. A California television advertising writer and producer who grew up in nearby Haltom City came through and purchased the building within days of the wrecking ball. The new owner restored the building and it reopened in 2006. It appears that the restoration of this building was the catalyst for the renaissance of Race Street.
Early 20th Century