This three story school building was designed by Fort Worth Architects Waller, Shaw, & Field and was built by Innis and Graham General Contractors, also of Fort Worth. The red brick building features cast stone trim. The school originally opened in 1909 as the Colored High School. In 1921, it was renamed for Isaiah Milligan Terrell, a black educator who was the one time Principal of this school. Having outgrown the building, I.M. Terrell High School was relocated to another school site, which was expanded in 1937 for the older students. After the high school students left, the building was converted to a combination elementary and junior high. From 1937 until 1975, it was known as the George Washington Carver Elementary/Junior High School. In 1956, the building was expanded to include an auditorium wing on the north and a two story cafeteria wing on the south. This formed a courtyard leading to the main entrance to the school on the west side. Supplementary entrances were provided to the Auditorium and to the Cafeteria at the ends of the wings. Although the wings were clad in red brick with cast stone trim and have a relationship to the original building, they were designed more in the International Style and offer a complimentary contrast to it. When the wings were added to the building, all of the corbelled brick and cast stone cornices were removed from the original school and they were replaced with a straight parapet and no cornice. At this same time, the north and south entries to the original building were stripped of their detailing. In 1975, more room was needed for the elementary school students, so the junior high students were sent to other schools and another name was placed on the building. That year, the school became known as Carver-Hamilton Elementary. Cast aluminum letters are still on the building along the 12th Street facade indicating the name. Due to low enrollment, the Fort Worth Independent School District closed the school and sold the property to the Fort Worth Housing Authority in 1995. At that time, the building was converted into office use as the Housing Authority's Administration Building. The architects for that project were Huitt-Zollars. In 2005, Halbach-Dietz Architects completed an interior remodeling of the building that will streamline operations and services.