Built on a 20 acre site that it shares with Riverside Middle School, this three story "H" shaped school was designed by Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick. The materials on the building are yellow brick, red clay tile roof, and a projecting stone entry. The design of the building is a Spanish Baroque. It was one of five high schools built in the city with funding from the Works Progress Administration. In 1941, the school was renamed Amon Carter-Riverside High School to honor the civic leader and newspaper publisher. In 1954, Hedrick's office designed a sympathetic addition to the rear of the building. In 1957, a field house was added, also in the rear of the building. The field house was designed by Burnett & Wharton. A free-standing activities building out of pre-cast concrete panels was added to the east of the school in 1979. In 1988, Halbach-Dietz Architects completed a library and science classroom addition to the rear. In 2003, another classroom addition and cafeteria expansion was constructed, also in the back. The front of the building is heavily landscaped and planted with numerous oak trees, native to the neighborhood. The landscaped front yard was designed by Hare & Hare Landscape Architects from St. Louis as a part of the Works Progress Administration. This landscaping includes a park shelter near the intersection of Riverside Drive and Yucca Ave.