This is one of the few remaining early 1900's structures located around the Tarrant County Courthouse. The others sit diagonally across the street, but have been significantly altered. In the center of the parapet on the Houston Street facade is a cast stone panel with a letter "G". The origin of the letter is not known except that George L. Gause constructed the building in 1910 and that Gamble Meat Market and Goodkin's Hotel were early tenants. The "G" could refer to the owner or the tenants. In 1929, Joe Daiches Jewelry Company opened at this location and remained here until 2010. In 1955, the base was significantly altered with the closure of many of the ground floor windows and installation of mosaic tile. In 2018, Vaquero Coffee Co. opened in the rear lease space facing Houston Street.
Early 20th Century