In 1928, Montgomery Ward located their regional retail and mail order warehouse to this site on West 7th Street, just across the Trinity River from Downtown Fort Worth. They constructed an eight story retail store and warehouse facing West 7th. This was one of nine regional centers constructed in the U.S. between 1926 and 1929. The overall design of the warehouse was Mission Revival. In 1961, a large distribution center was constructed on the rear of the property. In March 0f 2000, the Distribution Center building took a direct hit from a tornado, killing one person on the site. In early 2001, Montgomery Ward went out of business, closing this store and leaving the property vacant. Weber & Co. purchased the property, and demolished the distribution center in the rear of the property, and built a Super Target on the distribution center site. The Super Target opened on October 5, 2005 and Marshall's followed quickly behind. Other "big box" retail buildings have been constructed on the site of the Distribution Center and the historic warehouse is being renovated. All of the new buildings on the site will take details from the historic warehouse and will feature red clay tile and white stucco. Some of the buildings will even have the Mission style rounded parapet. The 1928 store/warehouse is slated for loft apartments and specialty retail. The retail renovations on the ground floor opened in early 2006, with the opening of the residential units in 2008. Other stores in the center are: Ross Dress for Less, Pier 1 Imports, PetSmart, Office Depot, Wells Fargo Bank, Mattress Firm, Subway, Baker Bros. American Deli, and Chick-fil-A.
Hodges Associates, Inc., Dallas