This bridge was designed by a TxDot Engineer to provide a replacement for the old West 7th Street Bridge (1914; 1954) that spanned the Clear Fork of the Trinity River. That bridge was also known as the Van Zandt Viaduct. It was structurally unsafe and was determined that it should be replaced. The bridge served as only one of two connections between downtown and the Cultural District. It also offered direct access to So7, West 7th, and Montgomery Plaza. Since it was the direct connection to those developments, the time that the bridge was closed to traffic was kept to a minimum. The bridge was dedicated in November of 2013. It features 12 pre-cast concrete arches with cables between the top and bottom chords. These arches were cast on the ground within the current Left Bank Development site and then trucked a couple of blocks to the river crossing. The bridge is 30 feet wider than the old one and allows pedestrian and bicycle access on each side of four traffic lanes. The bridge is illuminated at night. In 2016, due to electrical design problems, the original lighting on the bridge was replaced with a multi-color LED system that utilized higher grade components.
Texas Department of Transportation